Chapter 28. Introductions in London.

One can begin so many things with a new person! ~ George Eliot  

Chapter 28

Introductions in London.

Beatrice arrived in London at dusk and straightway went to her godmother, Mrs.Fairfax. She caught the woman and Catrin completely by surprise.

"We were sure you were going to go to your uncle's!" Mrs. Fairfax stated when they had exchanged greetings and had the butler carry her trunk to the room Catrin stayed in,

"Oh, I am not in the mood to see my Mamma just yet," Beatrice sighed. "I have a headache from the road and want a little bit of peace and quiet before Mamma carts me off to balls and balls and parties and all that rot."

"I do not know, Bea," Catrin dared to argue. "I have been having a lovely time."

"Catrin really is the belle of the ball," Mrs. Fairfax smiled. "She never lacks for company when in society and is always cheerful and friendly. If you behaved like her, Beatrice dear, you may not always feel so miserable and cross when at a party."

Beatrice put on a fake smile and shrugged. "If I behaved like Catrin," she thought to herself. "I would have more suitors than I could handle,Mamma would be forcing me to choose one of them, and my life would be worse than it is now. I can't afford to be nice when Mamma is so determined to marry off to the highest bidder. Pity there doesn't seem to be anyone here who understands that."

After dinner Beatrice went up to wash and spent a lazy evening in the small parlor with Catrin and Mrs. Fairfax. They played together with Beatrice at the piano and Catrin at the harp. At last they bid their host a good night and went upstairs to the room they would share.

"So, you have become quite popular?" Beatrice teased as Amy attempted to brush out the curls for the night.

"Oh, I don't know," Catrin could feel the heat rising to her face.

"But you have to admit, Cadi, there is a certain amount of superficiality in society. So many snobby and annoying people."

"Oh, to be sure," Catrin agreed. "I have met many a silly girl and a man who was nothing close to a gentleman. But if you look for roses, you can find them in thorns, Beatrice. I have been a lot in the company of Lord Woodworth and I must admit he has been very agreeable indeed."

"Oh?" Beatrice raised an eyebrow. "Lord Woodworth is it. Yes, I remember Mamma mentioned that he was in London. Well, I am glad that you have found a friend in this mess of a city. Give me a day or two and I shall take you to see the darker side of London."

"Really, Miss Morton," Amy shook her head. "It ain't right to take Miss Cadi to the slums. It ain't a place for a young lady like her. It ain't even a place someone like you ought to go."

"Nonsense,"Beatrice shook her head. "I want to sketch. If I must come to this city I will do it on my own terms. Besides, I will speak to Mamma and tell her that since Cadi is already a grown woman she must have a lady's maid."

"Must I? I hardly know what to do with one."

"If I had to have one than so should you. Let us free another girl from that horrible poor house, Cadi. We who have means can do so much good if only we would take the time to realize this. It's not so much that you need a maid, but that a little girl out there will be given a good and proper home, fair work, enough to eat, and when she grows up she will have a chance at finding a respectable husband, settling down down, and raising a family of her own."

Catrin smiled fondly at her stepsister. "You have a good heart, Bea. If you put it that way I cannot refuse. We shall go as soon as you are rested. But better tell me how you have been? I heard so little from you I guessed you must keep very busy in Derwen Goch."