Chapter 21. Beatrice's Scheme.

Schemes are like fruit, they require a certain ripening ~ George R.R.Martin

Chapter 21.

Beatrice's Scheme.

Beatrice knew she was in trouble from the look on her mother's face. Mrs. Llewelyn cast a single look in Catrin's direction and the girl nodded and with a little bow exited the room.

As soon as she was gone Beatrice jumped to her defenses. "Mamma don't look at me like that! You know I like Lord Woodworth's company, I am truly sorry to have missed it. I was sure he said he would be here at 4'oclock. I was so particular about getting here at the very hour. But I think you all managed splendid without me just the same. I even see he got Catrin to place chess with him."

"Don't you realize the horrible thing you have done?" Mrs. Llewelyn snapped at her daughter. "Now Lord Woodworth has caught an interest in Cadi."

"Oh," Beatrice plopped down on the sofa in very unladylike. "Is that a bad thing? She is a young lady after all; it's about time someone took interest in her."

"Beatrice!" Mrs. Llewelyn hissed. "Lord Woodworth is meant for you and not for Cadi!"

"Who means that I should have him?" Beatrice snapped back. "Did you ever ask me if I cared to have him as a husband? True I do enjoy his company, but not enough to want to be stuck with him for as long as either of us lives."

"How can you mean that, Beatrice. He is rich and handsome, everything you want."

"Everything you want, Mamma!" Beatrice's voice became bitter. "As for myself, I haven't made up my mind about his Lordship. Perhaps he will charm me, but if he does and I find I have no desire to marry him, perhaps we can give him a second option."

Mrs. Llewelyn began pacing the room in her agitaton. She could not believe Beatrice was saying such things.

"Beatrice, what if he fancies Catrin more than he does you? Must I remind you that Catrin comes with an entire manor! And while you have a pretty dowry of thirty thousand pounds, the manor means a stable income for many years to come. Surely you know that Catrin will be more desired by men than you simply because she is fortunate enough to be an heiress. Who would have though that in a day and age when estates are almost always entitled away to the male heir, little Catrin Llewelyn would have an entire manor to her name? She turns twenty one in two years and will inherit the manor."

"Then you really should be kinder to her, Mamma," Beatrie dryly stated as she lay her head comfortably on the little sofa cushion and stared at the ceiling. "Because the way you are treating her will make her wish to throw you out into the streets the moment the estate is lawfully hers."

Mrs. Llewelyn marched over to Beatrice and grabbing her chin, made her daugther look her in the eyes.

"That is not the point young lady!" She coldly reminded. "Lord Woodworth will visit us for lunch tomorrow and you will be here when he does. You will out charm anything Cadi might have put into his mind today."

"I am not going to make competition out of my stepsister," Beatrice retorted, shaking herself free from her mother's grip. "Let Lord Woodworth decide which one of us he likes. Besides, who says Cadi will like him? Maybe she won't care?"

"Once again, that is not the point. The point is you are going to marry Lord Woodworh and if you do not cooperate with me there will be dire consequences!"

"Oh?" Beatrice challenged. "Such as?"

Anger glowed in Mariah Llewelyn's eyes. She brought her face so close to Beatrice, the girl could just about feel the fire in her mother's breath.