Chapter 17. One Surprise, More Surprise.

Oh, that is the surprise. It's so lovely, I pity you because you don't know it ~ Louisa May Alcott

Chapter 17.

One Surprise, More Surprise.

The great castle of Llys Gwyn was up ahead and Charles urged his horse to a faster trot. It was twilight already and the superstition had it that ghosts haunted the woods ready to kill any Englishman who was out after dark. Of course Charles had Welsh blood in him from his mother's side, but he didn't know if the ghosts would consider that good enough reason to leave him alone.

"After all half Welsh isn't whole Welsh," Charles chuckled. "And when you've got so much English in you from your father you've got to be careful when roaming around the haunted woods of Llys Gwyn."

Up ahead Charles thought he saw two figures approaching. It seemed to be a man and a woman. The man was dressed in the garb of an Indian and carried a lantern in his hand.

"Odd,"Charles thought with a scowl. "If I didn't know better I'd say that looked like Raj." They were coming his way and seemed to be engrossed in conversation. Charles caught snatches of it as they came closer.

"It's namaste," the man was saying. "You've got to stress the last part of the word. It is also custom to fold your hands together like this when you say it."

Charles pulled his face into a deep scowl. "If I didn't know better I'd say that sounded like Raj."

"Alright," the lady said. "I'll try again. Namaste."

"Good,good," the man was obviously pleased. "Your accents is not as bad as many an Englishman I've heard."

They were near Charles by now but seemed intent on ignoring him. Charles on the other hand studied them intently. The light from the lantern illumated their faces and Charles abruptly pulled his horse to a halt.

"Raj!"He called out in disbelief.

The pair paused and turned to face him.

"Ah, Sahib Errol," Raj gave a little bow. "Namaste."

But Charles wasn't through with calling out names he least expected to see out here.

"Miss Morton?"

Beatrice felt her face turning red but she strove to keep a relaxed composure.She put her hands together and raised them to her face "Namaste, Lord Woodworth, you are the last person I ever expected to see out here."

Charles had dismounted now and approached the unlikely pair. "Likewise, Miss Morton," he said. "What brings you here at this hour? Have you gotten lost?"

"Miss Morton had an unfortunate accident and the master insisted on helping her," Raj explained.

Charles turned to Raj with wide eyes. "The master?" He questioned. Surely Raj got something confused. Surely Miss Morton could not have gone to that tower. Surely Elwyn could not have let her remain there.

Beatrice in the meantime was confused as well. It would seem that Word Woodworth and Raj were acquainted. Did his Lordship come here on a regular basis? To see Captain Fleets? How did he know about him? Turning to Raj she asked,

"Is his Lordship acquainted with the captain, Raj?"

Charles turned to her sharply. "The captain?"

Beatrice nodded.

Charles inhaled deeply. "You mean Captain Fleets?"

"That's right," Beatrice confirmed. "I am not supposed to speak about him so I shan't."