Chapter 18. A Lot of Explaining.

There is occasions and causes why and wherefore in all things. - William Shakespeare

Chapter 18.

A Lot of Explaining.

After Charles had left the Llewelyn house Beatrice knew she had to start talking quickly if she didn't want another storm to unleash. Her mother had been rendered quite speechless from the state of her hands and Beatrice lost no time in taking the high ground.

"Do not be so shocked, Mamma," she soothed. "They are only flesh wounds, and they will not scar...at least I hope they will not. I got them when I broke the window in my room."

Mrs. Llewelyn took a deep breath and put her hand to her head. "Beatrice, I feel faint," she whispered. Beatrice took her mother by the arm and supported her to a chair. She signaled for Jane to come and attend to her mother.

"I am cursed with you as a daughter," Mrs. Llewelyn muttered. "Beatrice Morton, you have a lot of explaining to do."

"Well you locked me up in my room as a princess in a tower," Beatrice spoke in quick tones. She didn't want her mother interrupting with more questions and angry threats. "And I figured the only thing in the world that was going to help me was if I got some Prince Charming to come and rescue me. Unfortunately the true days of knights and chivalry have long passed and while I am sure there are many a good man out there who would love to save the damsel in distress they aren't so good at finding them. I don't know if it because mankind has gotten lazier or more stupid through the ages. Anyway, I had to take matters into my own hands and so I broke the window, climbed out, and went in search of my knight. And as you can see, Mamma, I found him and he was most willing to help me out. Do not gaze at me so crossley. If I had not run off we would not be entertaining his lordship the day after tomorrow. And if we can impress him we may see more of him. I think even these cut up hands played an important part, he was filled with great sympathy. He was so insistent that he see me home. So there, it all worked out for good like Paul tells us in one of those Epistles, I can't remember which on at the moment. I am tired, Mamma, and need a good rest. Oh, and I shall room with Cadi for now until we fix my room." Beatrice gave her mother a little kiss and stood up.

Mrs. Llewelyn was still trying to comprehend the volley of words pouring out of her daughter. "Beatrice, wait," she called after her.

"You need to rest your nerves, Mamma," Beatrice called. "We will discuss the details of Lord Woodworth's visit tomorrow when we are both rested. We must plan it just right after all." She smiled and hurried off, only allowing herself to breath normally when she came up to Catrin's room. Barging in she gave her stepsister a fright and Catrin hugged her book, her eyes growing terrified at the banging of the door.

"Bea!" She gasped. "Where have you been? The house has been in an uproar."

"I seem to remember hearing those words once today," Beatrice laughed. She sighed and threw herself onto Catrin's bed. "I've been out searching out Prince Charming. It really is so hard for the damsels these days. It's like being locked up isn't tough luck enough, no, they've got to do all the hard work completely on their own. First they've got to figure out how to get out of the tower, then they have to search out a knight, then they have to drag him all the way back and arrange for a fight with the dragon. And do you know what the worst part in? In the end it is the Knight in Shining Armor who gets all the glory, while the damsel is scolded and sent off to bed."

Catrin blinked in confusion.

"Lord Woodworth is calling on us the day after tomorrow," Beatrice explained. "I met up with him in the woods and he brought me home."