s e v e n t e e n

I might take Jasper's words and call myself clumsy because I found myself on the ground at seven in the morning.

What a way to wake up!

"Ouch." I groan from slight pain and got up from the ground and sat on my bed. I rub my eyes with my hands, I reach for my phone. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter notifications along with some discount messages from the usual shops I shop at were flooded on my lock screen.

Even mobile phones seem to be busy this Monday.

I place my phone back on the nightstand and got myself ready for the day, especially since Chef Jasper is to prepare breakfast today. Last night's conversation was back in my mind as I put on my skinny jeans. Juliet seems to be very protective of Jasper or else she wouldn't have told me all that I mean she has more experience in the world than Jasper and me. I folded the sleeves of my full sleeve t-shirt and then put my hair into a high ponytail.

I took my phone from my nightstand and walked out of the room. I unlocked the phone as I went down the stairs and checked on the notifications I had received. My friends back home were having a great time going in for parties that were hosted by the spoilt brats of year. Emma seems to enjoy her time with her cousins. As I laughed at one of Emma's funny face picture, I walk into the kitchen to see James sitting on the kitchen top with a bowl of strawberries and laughing to something that Jasper must have told him.

"Holly! Holly!" James called me with excitement.

"Hey, James!" I walk over to him and give him a tight hug. "Did you sleep well?" I ask him, he nodded his head.

"Jasper making blueberry pancake." He tells me.

"Because it is Jesse's favourite." I heard Jessica say as she and Jesse walked into the kitchen.

"Not. Blueberry pancake my favourite." James protests.

"It's everybody's favourite," Jasper states and flipped the pancakes. After making another three pancakes, Jasper brought two plates of pancakes to the small table in the kitchen. The weekday breakfast usually takes place in the kitchen since it is a small meal. All of us took our seats and soon the plates in front of each one of us had warm pancakes with maple syrup poured over it.

Breakfast during the weekday was small talks, dreams seen in the night and since it's December, Christmas wish lists.

After we were done, the twins were given the duty to wash the dishes by Sarah. Without any complaining, the twins set off to get the dishes done. Jasper stood beside the twins, to supervise them while James and I went to the living room and sat in front of the television.

James and I watched Tom and Jerry, I'm surprised how James likes Tom and Jerry since there are so many other cartoons he could watch. Tom and Jerry are almost as old as my parents, even more.

"Alright guys, I'm letting you watch the TV because you did your chores." I heard Jasper say as I saw the twins walk into the room. They quietly sat on the couch next to the one James and I was on. The room was silent, the sounds of the TV and the birds chirping were all I could hear.

The doorbell rang after an hour, that must be Sarah. She told me last evening about an errand she had to attend to in the morning. Jasper got up and answered the door while the twins in the room held their storybooks that were on the coffee table.

They were behaving like as though it was a rule they followed every time they got grounded.

"I'm happy to hear that." I heard Sarah and turned to see her in the room talking to someone on the phone. "All right then, I'll ring you later then." She said and looked at us with a smile.

"Did you all have a good breakfast?" she asked us.

"Yes, mom. Jasper made some pancakes." Jessica replied.

"Good then." she looked at me. "Would like to help me prepare for lunch?" she asked me.

Sarah had taken my words very seriously when I told her that I would like to learn how to cook considering how terrible I could be in making anything except for coffee and a few sandwiches.

I nod and I got up from the sofa and walked with Sarah into the kitchen. Sarah walked up to the sink to wash her hands, I did the same and I waited for Sarah to give the instructions. I have to say though, standing beside Sarah each time she cooked a meal, I learnt a lot. The art of slicing, dicing, chopping, especially chopping onions.

I wore the apron Sarah handed over to me, I tied it at the back and Sarah had two chopping boards placed on the counter.

"We don't have much to chop today, I was thinking of having either a relish or a salad, to keep it a little healthy," Sarah says as she took some tomatoes and cucumber. "What do you think will go best, salad or relish?" she asked me.

"It depends on what we're having for lunch." I say.

"Oh yes, Hot dogs!" she grinned and got the sausages out as well.

It's been a while since I had hot dogs. Emma loves hot dogs but since she got extremely busy last semester, the intake of hot dogs reduced. Who couldn't possibly like to have a typical American delight! I couldn't wait to hold it in my hand and bite into it already.

"I think the relish can be put over the hot dog." I suggest.

"I was thinking of the same." she smiled.

Unfortunately for me, the best relish over hot dog involves onions and that meant that I would have to chop onions. Remembering all the tips Sarah had told me about chopping onions, I begin to chop the onions. I chopped some more ingredients that were required for the relish and started mixing them in a large bowl with seasonings and herbs added while I mixed it.

"That looks good, Holly." I heard Sarah say.

"Thank you, it's all thanks to your tips and supervision." I thank her.

"It's nothing, I like teaching the art of cooking." she pats my shoulder and turns to attend the sausages that were on the grill pan.

I turned to the table and started creating pockets in the hot dog buns when I heard Jessica run into the kitchen and I could hear my phone ring as well.

"Holly, your phone is ringing!" she exclaims and hands me my phone. I smile at her and checked the caller id of the person calling me, my smile faded and I looked up at Sarah.

"I need to attend this call," I inform her, she nodded and I ran out of the kitchen and ran up the stairs to my room. The ringing never stopped until I accepted the call after I closed the door of my room behind me.

"Hello?"

"Holly Anne Winters, you better answer my questions right now!"

I gulped at the tone.

---

Uh oh....who do you think is that???

Comment below along with your thoughts :D

I'm sorry for the delay in updating, I had to finish up some assignments so yeah..

I hope you're having a great time reading the story :)

Vote. Comment. Share.

~Sapphire Castle

#ShortChapter