e i g h t e e n

As much as I did not like my mother, there was a particular tone that would send shivers down my spine. The tone reminded me of the nights I stood before both my parents when I scored a bit less in class.

Somehow since my dislike for them had increased over the years, I got myself together and got myself ready to talk to her.

"Good afternoon Mother." I greet her with no emotions attached to my voice.

"It's good to know that you still have some manners." I heard her say, I could help but chuckle. "I need to thank some people for that. May I know your purpose in calling me?" I ask her very professionally.

"I heard from someone that you're not in New York but in another state."

"And how is that a question for me?" I ask.

"I want to know if this is true."

"It very much is," I answer. "Now since you've got your answer, I'm ending this conversation." I say.

"The conversation hasn't ended yet Holly." I groan. "You said that you have stay back in New York because you have some assignments to complete." I let out a sigh.

"Mom, I'm going to be honest right now, you very much know how I wasn't interested in coming Los Angeles for Christmas." I gave a blunt reply.

"Holly mind your tone." She warned me.

"I'm minding my tone. It wasn't a lie that I have a lot of assignments and I'm away from New York because of another assignment." I answer.

"Indeed, with a boy, I heard." She scoffed.

"Why does that concern you? Nothing ever mattered to you; I mean you still want me to date that player that you happen to love a lot." I snap.

"Daniel is not a player. He was devastated when you broke up with him." She got a bit soft and told me.

"Not a player and being devastated do not exist in his world. How can you be oblivious to reality? You believe what is shown to you and you believe nothing that your daughter says. You never have."

"We're trying to change, Holly but then you decide not to come home."

"Home?" I ask. "Do you even know the meaning of home? I never felt home with you and dad." I told her with anger.

"So the boy your sleeping with is making you feel at home." She snapped at me. "I'm not sleeping with anyone mother. I have an assignment with a partner and he was kind enough to invite me to relive Christmas, something no matter how much you try mother, will never be the same between the three of us." I almost yell at her.

"You will not yell at me, Holly." She scolds me.

"And you cannot make fake assumptions about me. You clearly don't know me and even if you try to, it's never going to be the same." I tell her. "Fake assumptions? Honey I heard you were eager to not be innocent from your friends and Daniel." I couldn't believe the words that came from her mouth.

"You think I asked for it?" I gasp. She remained silent. Couldn't we have one proper conversation?

"Oh my God, you both chose to be oblivious to the things happening in my life!" I yell.

"Oblivious? We were trying to make sure you have a good future, we know we did not spend quality time with you and we do regret it." She begins to apologise.

"Don't begin apologising now, mother. You cannot change what happened and even if I have to forgive, it would take forever." I told her. "A miracle needs to occur in our lives for me to forgive you." I add.