t w e n t y f o u r

Evening came fast and the Anderson household was in all cheer for the Christmas dinner.

The women of the house were in the kitchen while the men sat in the living room and when it was almost time for dinner, they set the table and chose the drinks we could have during the meal.

The adults would have the best wine the Anderson's had while the ones below the legal age would have grape juice in their wine glass.

It was time to pull the turkey out of the oven. Sarah placed the turkey on the kitchen counter and Juliet got the roast vegetables. We walked into the dining room with the turkey, the vegetables, little jars of gravy that held and the basket of bread by Jessica.

The table was set beautifully. Jasper told me about how Sarah had special plates, glasses and cutlery for Christmas. There was candles lit and the room was dim. We placed the food on the table and I noticed that beside each plate there was a card with names written on them.

Once everything was in its place, the ladies walked to where they were to sit. Peter stood behind Sarah's chair and pulled the chair so that Sarah could sit.

I checked out where I had to sit, I was sitting beside Juliet. Michael was made her sit and he placed a kiss on her hand.

I noticed Jasper standing behind my chair. When I got near mine, he pulled the chair so that I could sit. Jesse did the same thing his father did and made his twin sister sit beside me. I smile and sat down and thanked Jasper.

Everybody was soon in their seats except for Peter. He stood at his place and closed his eyes and began to say a prayer. Everybody at the table closed their eyes and joint their hands together. After a minute or two, Peter finished the prayer which was very beautiful.

He took the carving knife and carved the large turkey that was roasted for dinner. It reminded me of the books I read when I was eight. Every birthday, my grandparents sent me books to read, well as a child I read that was way before my mind got consumed with the world and more. I've always read that the man of the house or the father always carves the bird.

Peter served us all a portion of the turkey he carved and then once he sat down, we passed around the other items to each other.

Having dinner with the Anderson's was always amazing. There was always something to talk about, something to laugh about and today there was a lot more to talk about since it is Christmas.

"The first Christmas I had with Sarah was a bit well, it wasn't how we had planned," Peter spoke and we have him our attention.

"We wanted a very quiet, cosy Christmas and Sarah was very excited to roast the chicken we bought." He continued to say.

"We had planned it all. The table had candles, the fireplace was on and we were helping each other in the kitchen." He looked at his wife, who was sitting across him at the other end of the table.

"The chicken decided to burn in the oven and we had some mash and vegetables as our Christmas dinner." Sarah tells us.

"And she was very excited to show me her skills at baking." Peter tells us.

"Well if you hadn't distracted me, we would have had some chicken." She playfully argued.

"Are you tell me that you did not enjoy it?" He pretends to gasp.

Before Sarah could even answer, Juliet stepped in, "Let's leave that there shall we." And everybody laughed, even James, though I'm sure he understood nothing of it.

There were more funny stories to laugh while everybody at the table enjoyed the dinner.

A little while later, Juliet and I cleared the plates from the table, Jesse and Jessica placed the dessert plates in place and Sarah served some Christmas pudding.