Chapter 10

A/N: Hey!

2 votes until next chapter!

Enjoy! Vote! Comment! Fan!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I slammed the door to my car carelessly and sprinted up the steps of the sky train station, barely pausing to pay for the fare. I made it onto the train, narrowly avoiding being hit by the doors as they closed behind me. There were few people amongst the seats; a man in a suit at the front, reading the day's newspaper, an old woman staring out the window with several plastic bags at her feet and three younger teenage girls giggling to each other near the back. Only the girls looked up as I passed them to sit in the farthest seat a few rows behind them. They burst into excited whispers as I sat down, but I ignored them, instead choosing to pull out my phone and listen to music at full blast.

I sighed softly and leaned my head against the window. I didn't feel bad about how I'd snapped at Shay, or how I'd yelled at Marie and ignored her. I probably should've, but I still just felt numb to everything around me. I hoped that once I got to the place I was going, I would start to feel again. But did I really want to? Did I want to feel all the guilt, regret and depression that had surely accumulated over the past few hours. To have it all hit me at once would surely kill me, wouldn't it? Even if it did, I decided it would still be better than spending the rest of my time uncaring and unfeeling. And so here I was. 

But even being in the emotionless state I was in, I was still nervous about being trapped in a metal compartment of people. I found myself fidgeting uncomfortably as more and more people filed into the train, leaving continuously less space between me and them. I tried to focus on my music to keep my mind off of it, but it didn't stop me from jumping in my seat as I turned to find someone sitting next to me. 

She was about my age, maybe a little older with auburn hair and light brown eyes. Freckles dusted her cheeks and nose and she wore light makeup. She was very pretty, but my mind wasn't focusing on that as my breaths became short and shallow and my heart raced in my chest. She said something to me, but I didn't hear her so I took out my ear buds.

"What?" I asked, a little breathless.

"I didn't mean to startle you," she repeated with a small apologetic smile. 

"Okay," I replied awkwardly, shuffling as far as I could into the corner to give myself some space to calm down.

"My name's Liz," she introduced, holding out her hand. I stared at it, terrified, until she dropped it back into her lap, disappointment written across her feautres. "So where are you headed?" she asked, cheefully. I shrugged non-committedly and went back to staring out the window. Why couldn't she just get the hint and leave? "Not much of a talker, are you?" she giggled. "I didn't think so. I mean, a guy like you probably wouldn't be." That caught my attention. I glanced back at her to find her staring at me intently. I swallowed hard and hoped that I could talk around my nerves.

"A guy like me?" I asked quietly and she nodded.

"Yeah. Troubled. I mean, with the hair and the clothes and the 'shun the world' attitude, you're totally emo." I flinched on the last word. I hated it to my very core. "You know, I'm totally into emo guys," she stated, ducking her head slightly and peeking up at me through her thick lashes. She might've gotten a lot of other guys when she did that, but not me.

"Go away," I ordered bluntly, just like I'd done to Shay. Taken aback, Liz sat up straight and gave me a confused frown.

"What did you say?"