8: Behind Blue Eyes

Playlist:

Behind Blue Eyes ~ Limp Bizkit

Human ~ Of Monsters and Men

Hope You Found it Now ~ Jason Walker

I visited Alan in the hospital a couple days later.

"You're looking better," he said when he saw me.

"So are you. Scott told me about the Mountain Ash."

"I think the Darach expected Scott to come for me." He glanced towards the door. "You were right."

I looked confused. "About what?"

"Scott."

"What do you mean?"

"Remember that discussion we had about him acting like an Alpha? Your suspicion about him?"

"That he's a True Alpha and he was Deucalion's true target?"

"You were right. When he found me, he tried to break through the Ash. His eyes turned bright yellow like they usually do. Then they turned bright red."

"I saw the same thing in the mall. He slammed into Ennis but didn't lose his footing. He looked up with the eyes of an Alpha before they returned to gold. If he's intermittently going between Beta and Alpha..."

"It's only a matter of time before he's permanently an Alpha."

"And a greater threat to Deucalion."

"I don't think Deucalion sees Scott as a threat," Alan said. "He sees him as a rare piece to add to his collection."

"Holy shit."

Melissa walked into the room then. "Hey, Trish," she said with a smile. "You look a hundred times better."

"I feel a hundred times better. In fact, I'll be at work on Monday."

"That's great!"

I turned to leave. At the door, I turned and looked back at Alan. "Feicfidh mé a bheith ag faire ar ár Alfa óg, Alan. Chun an chuid is fearr de mo chumas."

He nodded and I left.

~~~

I went home alone. Derek had taken off after Boyd's death to both grieve and heal. It was his way to deal with loss. He'd done the exact same thing when he was fifteen. We called it a hide and heal. My mind drifted back to when I was seventeen and to events that completely changed Derek's personality.

EIGHT YEARS EARLIER

"We can't find them anywhere," Josh said as I walked into the Hale house. I stopped knocking years ago. It was like my second home. He and Laura were talking to Talia. "I haven't been able to catch their scents."

"Neither one of us has," Laura confirmed.

"What's going on?" I asked. All three werewolves looked at me.

"I swear you're part werewolf," Josh commented.

Laura looked at her mother, who nodded. "Derek and Peter are missing. The Hunters killed a werewolf two nights ago. No one has seen them since that night. We're afraid that they may have been taken by the Hunters."