21: Tracking Down the Trickster

Playlist:

Bright ~ Echosmith

Human ~ Gabrielle Alpin

I walked into the exam room to see Jordan with an ice pack against his forehead.

"Injuring yourself just to come see me?" I said, jokingly.

He gave a smile. "I can assure you I didn't slam my own head against an armored truck."

I chuckled as I moved the ice pack away from his forehead. "The good news is you're still handsome."

The comment drew a laugh out of Jordan.

"Doesn't look like there will be any bruising and the skin's not broken. Might just have a headache for a few hours."

"Trish, the guy slammed my head down hard enough to knock me unconscious. I have no idea how long I was out. Myself and another deputy were tasked with taking the Katoshi evidence to federal lockup. I get to the truck and my partner is out cold. I went around the back looking for any sign that someone was trying to ambush us and this big guy jumps out of the back of the truck. I only saw him for maybe a couple seconds. Big guy. African American, I think. He moved too fast for me to react. I've never seen anyone move so fast."

I glanced up at him. It sounded like he'd had a run-in with a werewolf.

"When I woke up, Katoshi's prosthetic finger was on the ground."

"I'm glad he didn't kill you." I really meant that.

"Yeah, me, too."

I placed my hand over his. "Just be careful, Jordan."

He placed his other hand over mine and gave me a reassuring smile. "I will."

~~~

I had only been home for a few hours, long enough to change into a pair of short shorts and a pale blue tank, when my phone rang. My heart jumped to my throat when I saw it was Stilinski.

"Sheriff?" I answered.

I need you to come to the station as soon as you can.

"I'll be there in a few minutes." I changed into a pair of jeans and slipped on my flat boots, as they were the closest pair of shoes, and ran out the door. My first thought was something had happened to Stiles. My second was something had happened to Jordan.

~~~

I ran into the station and past the reception desk. Jordan wasn't at his desk, but I saw Stilinski, who waved for me to come into his office.

"What is it? What happened?" I asked.

"The nogitune took over again," he informed me. "Remember when Lydia led us to the basement of Eichen House?"

"Scott told me about that."

"Her abilities involve death, right?"

"She's referred to herself as the human Geiger counter of death. What does this have to do with Stiles?"

"Stiles and Malia Tate found a body behind a wall in that basement. World War II, I'm guessing. Probably from when the place was used as a military hospital."