12: Lunar Eclipse

Playlist:

Every Storm (Runs Out of Rain) ~ Gary Allen

Dead Inside ~ Skillet

Fight Song ~ Rachel Platten

The Weight of Us ~ Sanders Bohlke

Derek was still alive, but he was mostly unconscious for the rest of the night. Peter had jumped forward when I'd caught him and moved him to a sitting position against the window. Close to morning, he was semi-conscious but completely incoherent and remained that way for the rest of the day.

"What did he do?" Cora asked once she was coherent and I thanked every god known to man that it worked.

"He healed you," I said. "He drew the poison out of you."

She looked at Derek, worry in her eyes.

"He's not poisoned," Peter said. "But he's not an Alpha anymore. He gave up his spark to save you."

"What?" Cora looked at me.

"He willingly sacrificed his Alpha spark to save you."

Cora threw her arms around him. "He'll be okay, right?" she asked.

"I hope so."

Cora took the water bottle from my hand and put it to his lips. The water seemed to bring him to coherency. Derek opened his eyes, Cora being the first thing he saw.

"You're okay," he whispered.

Cora's face split into a joyful grin and I breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm doing much better than you are right now," she said. "All because of you."

"Hopefully not all for nothing," Peter said, being a Debbie Downer. "The moon's rising, Derek. You drained your battery all the way to the red and you have a fully charged Alpha on her way to rip you limb from limb."

Cora stroked Derek's hair.

"I'll be fine in a few hours," he said.

"I sincerely hope so, because a few hours is all that you have."

"I think I may be able to speed that up." I stood and went to my bag. I'd started carrying my herb bag in the car after I was poisoned and I was glad I did so now. I quickly mixed the ingredients for the quick heal and gave it to Derek. "This will cut that time in half."

~~~

I opened the door, surprised to see one of the Twins with Lydia and Anna. I immediately went into protection mode.

"Wait," Anna said, stepping between us. "Ethan came with us to warn Derek."

I backed down, trusting my sister's judgment, and stepped aside. Derek wasn't too happy about seeing Ethan.

"What do you want?" he asked, crossing his arms.

"We know about the lunar eclipse," Ethan said. "So don't think Kali's gonna sit around waiting for it to level the playing field. She's coming. My brother's coming with her."

"Good enough for me," Peter said. "Derek?"

"You want me to run?"

"Not a bad idea," I said.