15: An Eventful Surgery

Playlist:

Bad Intentions ~ Digital Daggers

Heroes ~ Alesso

Melissa looked like she was in a great mood today. It was Mischief Night, so we were expecting to be busy tonight and more than likely tomorrow as well. Full moons and Halloween were our busiest nights. And for once I had that night off. Which meant I was going to have to not eat all the candy I bought for the trick-or-treaters until after midnight. And keep Anna out of the candy as well. Our willpower will be tested tomorrow. Melissa and I had carved a pumpkin and Melissa was currently adjusting it on the nurses' station.

"Looks pretty good," I said.

"Yeah. It looks awesome. You did a good job."

"Thanks."

Melissa's ex and Scott's father came around a corner just as Stilinski and two deputies came through the door. Stilinski looked more pissed than a wet cat.

"Oh, here we go," Melissa muttered.

Rafe and Stilinski hated each other. Although, I'm pretty sure Stilinski hated him more. And each time the two came anywhere near each other, sparks were sure to fly. And not the good kind. Melissa and I went to intercept them.

"Hey," Stilinski's voice showed anger. "He is not coming in."

"This is the only hospital that would take him," Rafe answered coolly.

"Who?" I asked.

"What about County?"

"You'd be surprised how fast things fill up when a guy like this needs surgery."

"They turfed him to us?" Melissa asked. She obviously knew who they were talking about. I felt way out of the loop.

"Yeah."

"If County doesn't want to operate on him..."

"Then someone has to," Rafe interrupted Stilinski. Whoever this guy was, the Sheriff absolutely did not want him at Beacon Hills Memorial.

The doors opened and two police officers walked through, shotguns in hands. Behind them, two EMTs pushed a gurney into the hospital. Strapped to the gurney was an extremely thin man, his ankles and wrists also secured to the gurney. As they passed, I saw who they were wheeling in and my blood ran cold. William Barrow. The Shrapnel Bomber. The man strapped a bomb to himself and boarded a school bus, killing four kids and leaving a fifth paralyzed. At the time he'd pulled off his attack, I was in junior high and hadn't discovered what I was yet. I didn't know any of them, the kids went to another junior high. But it was scary being in the same building as an insane bomber.

"Somebody needs to do his pre-op interview," Melissa said, her voice fairly steady.

"Who usually does that?" Rafe asked. I looked at Melissa.

"Me," she said. She went around the desk to get the pre-op paperwork.

"Melissa," I said in a low voice. She looked up at me. "Be careful with him." My gut was screaming a warning. "Don't let your guard down with him."

She nodded and headed down the hall.

Stilinski took my arm. I looked at him and he nodded towards the way he'd come. I followed him. Rafe was watching us as we stepped several feet away. I pretended to brush a wisp of hair away from my face to hide my placing my anti-eavesdropping bubble around us.