17: Demon Ninjas

Playlist:

Those Nights ~ Skillet

Art of War ~ We the Kings

TRISH

I found myself in the middle of the living room floor, completely disoriented. At least, I think it was the living room floor, even though it felt like I was in Alaska.

"Trish!" Someone that sounded a lot like Anna called. She sounded like she was a hundred miles away.

"Is she okay?" Someone that sounded a hell of a lot like Derek asked. Something touched my arm.

"She's freezing." Something picked me up and started rubbing my arm. "You're not going to break her arm are you?"

"No, she's pretty good at bullshitting, but I really don't think she'll be able to explain how she broke her arm and why it healed within a week." My disorientation was becoming more orientated and I realized I wasn't imagining hearing Derek.

I pushed against his chest. "This is getting a little awkward."

Derek released me and chuckled.

"You're okay!" Anna wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Define okay," I said when she broke away and I reached up and rubbed behind my left ear.

"They mark her, too?" Derek asked as Anna pulled my hand away and looked behind my ear.

"What are you doing? Who marked me?"

"She has it, too," Anna confirmed.

"I just had five demon ninjas attack me. I would like to know what the hell you two are talking about. Really not in the mood for twenty questions."

"These demon ninja things showed up at the blacklight party and attacked Ethan and Lydia."

"And me outside the building," Derek added. "Apparently someone thought I was still out of town." He looked at Anna.

"What? It wasn't my party. I just went to it."

"How long have you been back?"

Derek avoided the question. "They attacked Aiden after I crashed the party."

"They also kicked Derek and Scott's asses."

Derek gave Anna a look.

"I think they were going to attack Scott, Kira, and Anna next."

"What!?" I screeched.

"They were looking at us when the sun came up," Anna explained. Her phone rang and she put it on speakerphone.

Is Trish okay? Allison's voice came over.

"Yeah, just a little pissed off."

My dad had dealings with these ninja things before. He was doing a Yakuza gun deal when they showed up. Said their eyes were glowing like they were looking into someone's soul. Derek and I looked at one another. He said they materialized out of the shadows.

"Just like these things did," I said. "They made my generator fail so they could use the shadows to attack me."

"And they came out of nowhere when they attacked me as well," Derek added. "They don't have a scent to them. The only way I knew they were there was they made some sort of chattering noise."