27.COMING CLEAN

I hid on the other side of the corner again so they couldn't see me and I ran away from there. Even though I would have to walk more, there was the possibility to go another way home without having to walk through the street where Stella and Evelyn...

Stella and Evelyn?! They were two girls! There was nothing wrong with that, obviously. I had got nothing against homosexual people. But I found it strange. I had never seen two people of the same gender kissing until then. And it made me uncomfortable.

It was absurd, I know, and I felt really bad about thinking that but, even if I wanted to, I couldn't help feeling confused. I had never met anybody who liked people of the same gender as him/her, so it was an unknown and strange but also fascinating world to me. And then, suddenly, I had a person who was in that situation very close to me. ¡Oh my gosh, one of my best friends!

And Evelyn... I was right to think she was an interesting person. That girl was full of surprises.

I didn't know what to do. They probably hadn't seen me attending the scene. Should I tell Stella that I knew "the think between Evelyn and her"? It was a great opportunity to explore and understand that unfamiliar world, in fact. Because I respected but didn't understand it. I was a curious person and I wanted to know what did Stella feel about it, how they had ended up together, since when they were in a relationship...

Although I probably wouldn't dare to bring it up.

Those thoughts got Victor out of my mind until I got home.

After having lunch, we went to Little Stars's studio to start to rehearse and get ready.

Once we had practiced and they had done our makeup, we got some free time.

Charlie went to the bathroom. Robert went to get some drinks and it had been a while since Mariah had gone out to get some fresh air without coming back yet.

So Stella and I were alone in the small room where we practiced. It was a perfect moment to bring it up and ask her, but I didn't dare. She was my friend, okay, but the fear of her possible reaction plus my shyness made it impossible.

A few seconds later, Stella's words broke the awkward silence there was in the room:

"Leila... Hum... I know.... I know you saw Evelyn and me...".

She had seen me! I suddenly wanted to disappear. I felt so bad about it.

"I didn't mean to...".

"Don't worry. But don't tell it to the others, okay?".

I built up my maybe unnecessary courage to ask her:

"How long have you been together?"

"Well, I don't think we are together yet. It was actually the first time we kissed."

Wow. Like Victor and me. So Stella and I had gotten our first kiss on the same day... If Evelyn was Stella's first relationship or 'whatever she was'.

"So you are...?"

"Lesbian, yes. I like girls" she explained and paused. Then she continued. "Evelyn is bisexual."

Wow, another surprise. After processing that information I answered with a question:

"And why don't you want the others to know it? We are your friends and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm sure they'll understand...".

"I don't want them to know it yet, please respect that".

Of course I'd respect that, it wasn't my decision.

I was about to tell her what had happened to me with Victor that morning but then the door opened and Robert came in. I wouldn't do it by then.