Chapter 4

Linc's POV

Ever since she signed the papers I haven't spoken to her. Only seeing her like I currently was doing sitting in my car watching from afar as she took our children to the park. Zach was holding the electric toy boat I had given him as he went to the small pond to play with it whilst the twins were with Mel on a slide. Their squeals of delight caught my ear as I smiled loving how they looked happy wishing I was there to catch them when they finall reached the bottom of the slide. Wishing I could see the joy in Zach's eyes as he maneuvered the little boat around the pond. Wishing I could steal a kiss from my wife's upturned lips as she smiled.

This is how it has been most of the time, me longing to be with my family as I watch over them. As the days passed by I saw how Mel drastically lost weight. I didn't like what I was seeing before me, she knew she had to take better care of herself especially in her condition. I couldn't do anything, she wasn't talking to me. I didn't even have the guts to approach her. Even when Ethan told me the kids were going to stay with my sister for a while. I knew Dominic would keep them safe always.

Sitting in my car debating on whether I should go in and see her. Just to talk to her about her health, I saw red lights flashing as I realized it was an ambulance. Getting out my car to find out what was going on, my heart skipped a beat as I saw Mel lying on the stretcher as the paramedic talked to her asking her were she felt pain.
"Take her to Shields Memorial," I growled to the ambulance driver who nodded his head not objecting as I ran back to my car, calling my family along the way.

"She will be alright. The baby is doing well, but she needs to take better care if herself. Her blood pressure is too high which is not good for either one of them," the doctor said as I stood beside her bed looking at her.
The bed seemed too big for her as she lay still, breathing evenly. Stroking her cheek she leaned into my touch making me smile as I leaned down to kiss her forehead before I realized my family was still in the room.
Straightening up I slowly walked out of the room asking Walter to stay behind and call me if anything changed. For three days, she remained asleep her body slowly gaining some of its old strength back. Each day I sat and waited for her to  wake up. I bathed her refusing for any of the nurses to do it. She was my responsibility, in sickness and in health I would care for her and our children.

The day she woke up I had left for a meeting only to decide to not go and see her. I didn't want to upset her especially in her condition. She needed to relax and I think my presence wouldn't allow her such. To numb the pain I resorted to alcohol even though I knew she wouldn't like me doing such.

----

After being discharged and taking some days off from work Mel stayed at home enjoying the peace and quiet that was broken when she heard loud banging upon her door late one night.
"Sweetheart," she heard Linc say with a slur. "Mel! Please," he said as she opened the door afraid he would break it down or hurt himself.
Looking at him her eyes widened at the sight before her. He was beyond wasted and had lost a tremendous amount of weight as his cheeks looked sunken beneath the beard he was sporting.
"Mel," he said his green eyes lighting up as if he had discovered gold.
"Lincoln what are you doing here?" She breathed out.

He frowned at her saying, "No, no, you never call me Lincoln. My name is Linc," he said pointing at himself as he smiled at her. "Your Linc," he said with a twinkle in his eyes.
"Okay, what are you doing here Linc?" she said as she directed him to the couch.
"I came to take care of you and the baby Mel," he said with an adorable smile as he gazed at her stomach.
"Okay Linc," she said standing up to fetch a glass of water for him.
He stood up to follow as she shook her head no, telling him to sit back down. But that was hopeless as he followed her close behind.
"Drink this," she said handing over the glass.
"Thank you," he said gulping the whole glass of water.