Chapter 21

Did you think I would seriously leave you all hanging like that😊.

"Melinda," I whispered feeling my world collapse when she didn't respond to my call as Cas started performing CPR on her.
Pacing up and down the room pulling at my hair I felt completely useless and hopeless. I could have the blood of another on my hands but I don't think I could ever live with the blood of my wife and child on my hands.
"I thought it was Raquel," I mumbled over and over again as Cas carried the chest compressions. The dream was so vivid, it shook me with fear.
A few seconds later I heard a loud gasp as she sat up craving for air before quickly scrambling away from Cas.
"Mel," Sonia said in a calming manner as she moved towards her taking her hand before wrapping her arms around her ensuring her she was safe.
"Mel," I said reaching out for her.
I froze when she retreated away from me as she shook with fear a hand on her throat. I could tell each breath was painful from her facial expression.

"Leave us," I said as Cas and Sonia left without further questions.
Shrugging off my shirt I slowly moved towards her and was glad when she didn't move away most likely oblivious to what I was doing.
"I'm so sorry Melinda," I said wrapping my arms around her as she slowly relaxed into me. "You know I would never think of hurting you, I don't know what happened," I said as I kept staring down at her. "Sweetheart please say something," I said as she fell asleep in my arms or so it seemed without a word.

I woke up to find the bed empty.
Heading downstairs I found her seated by the kitchen counter looking outside into the distance. Her eyes looked heavy telling me she hadn't slept at all but when I saw the angry prints of my hand on her neck regret, worry, anger with myself crept within, numbing me to the core. What have I done?
"Hi," I said softly as I watched her jump out of her seat becoming pale.
Taking a step towards her she took a step back away from me and it hurt to see this reaction coming especially from her.
Cas walked into the kitchen seeing us in this position. She visibly relaxed once she saw Cas before quickly leaving the kitchen. When I tried to go after her Cas stopped me.

"Give her some time man. You nearly killed her," he said in a gruff voice.
I knew what he was saying was logical but I had to make things right no matter what.
Sending for a floral arrangement I placed them by the bed hoping she would see them once she was done showering.
When she came back into our room she saw the flowers but disregarded them, even though they were her favorite.

"Mel," I said in a gruff voice. Her silence made me look like a fool as I followed her like a lost puppy. She needed answers and I knew that sooner or later I would have to tell her what really happened. Tell her what drove me to such actions. She knew something was bothering me. However what she did next had me paralyzed with fear as she walked out of the closet carrying her travel case.
Without another word she walked out of the room.

"Mel, please don't.." I said shutting my mouth once she turned to look at me.
The anger, pain and tears in her eyes said it all. She took a step towards the door but I grabbed ahold of her bag.
Letting it go she continued to walk out of the house leaving her luggage as I continued to go after her.
"Sweetheart," I cried out.
"Don't," she whispered raising her hand in a silencing gesture which had me swallowing my next words.

Sliding into the already waiting car I watched as she drove away.
Rooted in the same spot I sunk down to knees pondering over what would happen next. Where we ever going to survive this. I shouldn't have kept this problem locked inside. Mel and I always talked to each other no matter what the problem was. Bottling it up had now caused me to act out and to harm the love of my life. How was I going to fix this?
She would only speak to me once I told her the problem. I needed to find the fool who was leaking information to Rafael I thought as anger bubbled within. No one knew of this information unless they worked for me.