Chapter 11 - Raquel

Mel's POV

I felt him stiffen once I said the name. Pure anger was all I saw in his eyes as he avoided my gaze.
"Lincoln please talk to me," I said getting off him so he could sit up.
He did what I last expected as he sat up leaving the room without another word.

Had I said something wrong.

Following him out I found him opening a cabinet as he retrieved a bottle of whiskey.
"Linc you know I don't like it when you intoxicate your system," I said in a stern voice.
He raised his gaze looking at me coldly. He had never looked at me in this manner whatsoever. First the shouting, drinking and now cold stares. What was next? Was the stress Rafael was causing really pulling us apart?

"Go to bed Mel," he simply said opening the backyard doors and walking out, bottle still in his hand.
Deciding to not anger him I left for our room but sleep was the last thing on my mind as I pondered over who was Raquel.

Drifting off to sleep I woke up to find his arms secured around me. He looked broken as he slept. Something was definitely eating him up I thought as I removed stray locks of hair from his forehead. I decided to find out on my own rather than pester him, stressing him out more than he was would only cause problems for us.

Placing a glass of water and some aspirin for him beside the bed I left the room.
Thankful it was the weekend I wouldn't have to tackle work related stress for the next two days.
Typing away on my laptop I found an article from a year before Linc saved me. I hadn't bothered to dig into his past. I knew he must have dated other women. I just didn't want to bother myself with such trivial matters. If he had any intentions of telling me, he would do so, that's how much I trusted him. But the way he said the name Raquel had a certain edge to it that had frightened me. This woman whoever she was must have done something bad, something that led him to drinking, to being closed off and cold towards me like I had done something wrong.

I did a double take looking at a picture of Linc at a club with another woman. I remembered that face from the family portrait Rafael had in his office. She was a stunning creature and anyone could see Linc was long gone as he stood by her. A nagging feeling crept up my spine as I realized this woman might have been the one to make him forget about me for a while just as Chris had done for me.

"Good morning," I heard as I let out a startled yelp.
"Geez, Linc. Are you trying to give me a heart attack," I said slamming my laptop shut as I stood up to leave.
"Hey, hey," he said snaking his arm around my waist pulling me back to him. I could still smell the alcohol off him as I scrunched up my nose. "I'm sorry," he murmured into my ear.

"For what? Last night, or just now?"
"Both," he said softly.
Hugging my laptop closer to my chest I stood rigid thinking over his apology.
"Sorry isn't going to cut it I need answers," I spat as he loosened his hold on me letting me go.
Running a hand through his hair he let out a long sigh. His dark stubble peppered his jaw deliciously as my hand itched to feel it.

Doing just that I stroked his cheek.
"Talk to me Linc," I said softly. But this was pointless I could already see him shutting me out as he took my hand gently removing it from his face.
"I have to go for my check up," I said stepping away from him needing some space.
He didn't respond whatsoever as I left him.

----------

"Well Mrs Shields everything seems to be in order," the doctor said.
"Thank you very much. Ummm, so does than mean we can try for another baby?"
"I don't see why not," he said with a reassuring smile.
"Just give me a second," he said as his phone rang. "I'll be there shortly," he said hanging up.
"Give me a minute before we do your final test."