Chapter 17

"Linc," Mel whispered looking worried.
"What's wrong love?"
"Remember how I was sort of looking into your parents' death."
"I thought I told you to let that go," he growled.
"I know, I know, but..."
"What is it?"
"Well that accident you were involved in was not really an accident," she said softly as he suddenly became tense.

"Well I sort of traced back to the list of associates your father had..."

---------

After discussing more on the subject Linc looked dejected as he wondered what their next move would be. After putting Rafael in his place in terms of business he still had to face the music for the loss of their child.
A few minutes later Mel walked into the living room with the children as they left the house for Sunday service. No matter what they always went for mass.

Walking out of the church there before them stood Rafael in all his glory wearing a proud smirk.
"A lovely service was it not?" He said as Linc came to a halt looking at the man.
"A superb one indeed. I didn't know you went to church," Linc said as he continued to walk.
"Well I do go, mother insists on it. But today I felt drawn to this church," he said looking in Mel's direction as they reached their car.
Opening the door Linc helped the little ones in buckling them up just as Mel got in.
"Listen Rafael, the next time you decide to show your face make sure it is not in front of my children. We wouldn't want them having nightmares after seeing such a face," he said sending him a cold stare.

"See you around Rafael," Linc said cheerfully as they left him with an angry scowl.
Stopping by the mall Linc went in with the boys as Mel stayed behind with Rose.
"Daddy is asking what you want princess?" Mel asked her as they looked at the screen.
"Hmmm I want some cookies," she smiled.
"You can't have cookies for lunch baby, maybe for desert," she said as Mel nodded her head yes. "How about a chicken and mayo sandwich?"
"Chicken!" She beamed as she nodded her head yes in approval.
Settling for that they waited for the boys as they watched cartoons of her iPad.

A light tap on the window had both girls screaming as the boys laughed at them. They had been so engrossed in the show such that they did not notice their return.
"Mama is a scaredy cat," Ryan chanted making the others laugh as they got in it the car.
"You will all pay for that," Mel laughed as they got settled in the car. Rose went to the back to joint her brothers as Zach distributed the packets of chips.

"Open only one packet, I need you all to have a decent meal in your stomachs," she said as they all grumbled.
"You heard your mother," Linc said with a stern look that had them focusing on one packet of Doritos.
Their munching was the only sound they produced as Linc pulled away from the mall.

"Aren't you going to give me some?" Linc asked her never taking his eyes off the road.
"Well I am rather famished and we both know you would eat more that I," she said with a smirk.
"Feed me wife," he growled making Mel chuckle.
"So barbaric," she said bringing a smaller chip to his lips squealing I surprise when he licked her fingers in the process. "Lincoln," she said as he burst into laughter.
Driving back home she fed him as he enjoyed the attention.

"In you go!" Linc said once he opened the door for them.
"Thank you," she murmured walking past him looking tired.
"Sure thing love," he said shutting the door heading to the kitchen were the children were already washing their hands.
Placing the pizza boxes on the table as well as Rose's sandwich and Mel's fried chicken and fries Linc waited for the children to join him as Mel fetched cutlery. Zach brought their orange juice and milk as Linc took care of the cups.

"Don't you even dare touch my chicken," Mel said as Linc's hand froze over the piece of chicken.
"But.."
"What did you order?"
"But sweetheart.."
"No daddy you didn't order the chicken. Only mama and I did," Rose said as Mel smiled with pride.
"But princess I thought you loved daddy," he said looking hurt.
"I love you daddy," she said going over to him to give him a hug as he whispered something into her ear making her giggle.
Mel looked at the boys as they were already finishing off their slices. Ryan seemed to only enjoy the toppings leaving the crust hence the chips she had ordered knowing he would be hungry.

"Mama, may you please allow daddy to take one piece of chicken," she said as Linc whispered into her ear a smile forming on his face.
Mel chuckled looking at her daughter.
"Very well," she said as Linc reached out to take the meat. "You owe me," she said making him chuckle.
Enjoying their Sunday afternoon they relaxed watching whatever the kids wanted to watch content with the time they were sharing.

---------

Some time during the week

"So you mean to tell me this stone caused a rift between my father and that man," Linc said as he looked at the screen.
"Yep."
"Why would my dad take archeology as a hobby?"
"He had a lot of time in his hands but so did Enrique," Mel said facing Caspian.
"Wow," Cas said rubbing his jaw. "So he thought killing your folks would lead him to the stone?"
"Precisely because all the Bonaqua possessions would go on auction once ever member who stood to inherit that wealth was eliminated, which was either you or your mother," Mel said facing her husband.
"Wow," Cas said once more.

"Now we need to find this stone as well as seek justice over your parents death," Mel said looking troubled.
"Let me think things over love, one thing at a time," he said taking her hand.

"Hi Magda I think I might need that favor soon," Mel said as soon as Magda answered her call.