Chapter 5

Linc's POV

My gaze never left her as she looked delectable as always. Sending her her favorite desert I saw a smile grace her face as she looked at the bowl feeling happy that I could still put a smile on her face even after what I had done. Rafael was truly gullible if he thought I would divorce my wife, nothing was ever going to separate me from her. My lawyers had drawn up divorce papers that allowed Rodriguez to believe we were done, only I and my team of lawyers knew this. I payed them good money so their services had to be exceptional or else. He thought the papers we had signed were his papers.

A few minutes later they stood to leave. It took everything within me to not grab that idiot by the collar but what Dominic had just told me made my hunt for who was helping him all the more tricky. The commissioner was at the ball and by the look of things he was very close with Rafael as they had a short conversation earlier. I would have to call in the twins to deal with him and also call and old friend who I deemed my last resort if all else failed. Looking at the fool I felt bile rise to my throat as he dared lay his hand on what is mine. The mother of my children.

"I guess I won after all," Rafael whispered into my ear. "It would be such a shame if she were to miscarry wouldn't it, but then she would be pregnant by me soon to compensate for the life lost," he murmured making me angrier than I was before as the glass shattered in my hand as several heads turned in our direction.
Standing up I reveled in the advantage of height and build I had over him as he stood back.
"Try me Rodriguez. Try me," I said in warning as I made my way away from him whilst drops of blood made a trail on the marble floor.
"Linc!" Mel called out moving towards me before Rafael grabbed her hand roughly.
Unable to control my rage I walked up to him as he released her hand knowing he would get a proper beating; by then we had an audience as Mel took my hand wrapping a handkerchief around it trying to stop the bleeding.

"Ethan please get him to a doctor," she whispered as Ethan stood beside me.
Looking down at her my heart ached as a single tear fell into my palm. This undid me as I stopped her hands from their task at hand.
"Please don't cry sweetheart," I murmured raising her head up. "Be strong my love," I whispered as Rafael called her already making his way out.

-----

Mel's POV

"That was fun, wasn't it?" Rafael said.
"So this was your plan all along, to hurt Lincoln through me."
"Of course," he laughed out loud as his phone rang.
Remaining silent for the rest of the journey the car came to a halt in front of her apartment as the driver jumped out to open my door.
"Goodnight Melinda," he said with a sly smile as I looked at him with clear disgust. Rushing to my home I locked the door behind me glad to be away from him. They first thing I did was take a shower scrubbing off wherever he had dared place his hands. I felt like my skin was crawling just imagining his hand upon me. Call me paranoid but the man threatened my family and expected me to act friendly with him. That wasn't going to ever happen.

Sleep no longer came easily to me these days so I sat down in front of my laptop as I went over the files I had acquired over Lincoln's parents. I had been tracing who Amelia really was since the day I discovered she knew nothing of Linc's scar and after the stunt she pulled with my babies. The little bug I had created would tell me if the information was authentic or not and allow me to trace the server that had created the false background story.

A few minutes later an alarm went off as I turned to my screen, the information was not legit and I knew were it came from. The little idiot was in for it come Monday morning I smiled.

----

"Please inform Owen to meet me in my office," Mel said as she stepped into the elevator her bags already taken care of as she typed away on her cellphone asking Roni to come by her office.
Roni and her husband were in town after they heard about the little situation, she knew this through Ethan.