The Attempt

Moon laid in the dark, slowly freezing. She didn't think anyone was going to rescue her since it had been over three days now. Well, she thought it was over three days. It was hard to tell when you can't see the sun.

Moon rose her head when she saw another IceWing walk by. She was suprised that they hadn't figured out about the fire she had. They surely would be able to smell the smoke all the way down the corridors.

Moon then stood up, still shivering, and almost slipped on the water that was building up on the ground. Then she came up with an idea.

With shaky talons, she picked up the burning wood and placed it by the metal bars.

Moon sat by the fire and waited. Slowly the ice started to melt. No IceWing guard was anywhere near her, so the plan was working out well.

After the bars on the door were loose, Moon quietly pulled them out and stepped into the dark corridor. She put the fire out and put the bars back as well as she could. When she was doing that, she heard someone in her head coming down the hallway. She yelped and ran into the dark corner, blending in perfectly.

The IceWing guard walked past her cell and he dint even notice that Moon wasn't in there. She cheered lightly in her head, but then realized he was coming straight for her. She dropped to the cold, very cold, ground and pushed herself into the corner as best as she could. The pale blue IceWing walked right past her, his tail nearly hitting her head.

Moon stood up, now colder than before, and started down the dim hallway. None of the prisoners were even awake and she thought about this. How did they sleep when they didn't know what time of day it was? Did they know what time of day it was? Was it just her that was confused?

Moon silently, or her version of silent, slithered down the ice covered hallway and finally saw a staircase. She twitched her tail happily and carefully walked up it. She dug her silver talons into the smooth ice as she made her way up the winding staircase.

She finally felt the breeze of cold air on her snout as she got into the morning air. She streched her wings when she heard laughing behind her. She whirled around and saw a slim, but muscular, dragon standing there. Icicle smirked.

"Didn't know you would be that smart. I wouldn't even be able to think of that," She said and Moon stopped herself from shivering for a few minutes.

"Well, I'm clearly out. And other dragons have diffrent thought processes than other dragons," Moon said, reciting what she once read in a scroll. It was helpful sometimes.

"Yeah, alright. I'll add that to the list of things I really don't care about," Icicle hissed and Moon stepped back. She would easily be able to fly away, but she needed a window.

"LOOK OUT!" Someone shouted off to the left. Moon leaped out of the way just in time as two IceWing soldiers fell from the sky, blue blood dripping off of their wings. Icicle growled and looked up, Moon copied this action and almost cried in glee.

Peril, Qibli, Winter, and a NightWing she has never seen before were right above her. She opened her wings, but time seemed to freeze. All she felt was a searing pain go through her right wing and she yelled out in pain.

Icicle stood before her, her white talons now covered in dripping red blood, her blood. Moon staggered back and looked at her shredded wing. Blood was everywhere.

Heat. Peril stood beside her, glaring daggers at Icicle. Winter was behind his sister and Qibli was in front of her. Icicle went to turn away, but Winter spoke up.

"What are you doing, Icicle? Where is Hailstorm?" He asked. He was confused and so was Moon. She just wanted to get out of here. She was cold, now bleeding, and almost at fainting point. She just wanted to go home.

"Hailstorm is dead! It's all your fault, too!" Icicle sneered. Winter took a step back, his eyes said everything. He was now shattered. His façade broke into a million pieces and he grabbed his head.

"What? How is he dead? How did you know I was still alive?" He cried. The NightWing landed a second after he said that and she walked up to Moon. She stood on her right side, inspecting the wing injury. The blood was now starting to freeze, making it hard to move her wing because of the pain she was in.

"I saw you leave! Hailstorm lied to the tribe! He was a traitor and I had to kill him!" She said. Moon winced. The pain in her voice was worse than the actual pain that Moon was feeling. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose a family member.

"No! That can't be true! Not after everything we did to find him! I won't believe it!" He stamped on the ground, making snow float into the wind.

Qibli took a step forward and said, "Winter, I can hear it. She isn't lying. Come on, we need to leave." Winter ignored him.

"I want to see the body then. The grave. Anything that will tell me that he's actually gone!" Winter said and Icicle looked down. She had a pouch around her neck and she reached inside. She pulled out what looked like a claw. Hailstorm's claw.

"They let me keep something to remember him. Mother and father didn't approve of me doing this, but I did it anyway. I wasn't going to kill him in cold blood, then forget about him," She said. Moon closed her eyes in pain as the barrier around Icicle's thoughts shattered as well, making it hard to hear anything else.

All my fault. He's weak, I can see it. I'm weak. I'm a dissapointment. I shouldn't be showing him this. How is that NightWing still alive? Why is that SandWing here? All my fault. I'm weak. Her mind kept repeating and repeating. Moon flinched and Winter pushed his sisters talons out of the way, making her put the claw back in the bag.

"I need time to think," He muttered and went to open his wings. Qibli stopped him.

"Where are you going? Remember, we have a very cold and injured dragon with us! She can't fly!" Qibli protested. Winter gave Moon a quick look and shook his head. Moon was now struggling to stay awake.

"I'll meet you back in Possibility," He muttered and flew away. When Moon looked back, he was gone, and so was his sister.

Moon took the last inch of strength she had and picked up the pouch that was on the ground. Icicle must've dropped it by accident, or she did it on purpose. Moon didn't know. All she could do now was welcome the darkness that was waiting so long for her.

Winter is gone.

Well, here is a new chapter! Sorry it took so long. I've had some awful writers block and I got another allergic reaction so I had to take medicine that made me super super tired. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter! And please, don't pressure me to make another chapter. I've been filled with stress from tons of schoolwork and studying. HAVE A NICE DAY/NIGHT and I'll see you later my dragonets!!

~Starbeam