Hunger Games Preview

:: Summary ::

"When one fails to show, there's always a substitute." 

 - 

At the 74th Hunger Games Katniss Everdeen was the first District 12 tribute to volunteer. No one else had ever volunteered again after her, especially since she died in the end anyways. Katniss's legacy faded into oblivion and she was named just another tribute until, one day, the daughter of her younger sister was picked into the Hunger Games at the age of twelve.  

:: Small piece from the first chapter ::

The person who enters next is surprising. I've never talked to him before in my life. "Haymitch?" I frown. He's old enough to be my grandfather, maybe older. He had been my Aunt's mentor.

He rolls his eyes and sits down. "I wasn't close to your aunt. I never had the chance to become close to her. I have a feeling that if she had made it we could have been close." He looks at me. "I want you to know that I was counting on your aunt winning. I put so much into her winning but Peeta won instead. I'm happy Peeta made it, of course, but Katniss was like this breath of fresh air. Peeta wanted to live. Your aunt, though... She just didn't want your mother to die."

I nod. "Peeta was in love with her. He told me he loved that about her."

Haymitch rolls his eyes. "Did you know that your aunt is still kind of a legend in the Capital. They loved the whole star-crossed lovers thing Peeta and her had going on and they still acknowledge it every year when he comes back to be a mentor."

I nod. "Do you think mentioning I'm the niece of her could help me?" I frown. "I'm already mentioning I'm the best friend of Posy from last year."

"The more of a connection you have to their favorite past tributes the more they'll love you. Take my advice."

I nod. "Okay."

"Also, I used to tell your aunt this. Because I won't be going with you now, I'll tell you now." I frown slightly as he says, "Stay alive."

:: Small note :: 

That is just the last part of the first chapter. Just so you know, because I need to fit her life from when she is twelve to when she's around twenty in one book to go along with my plan, something that might have happened in the first book that stretched across five chapters will be in one chapter of this. 

I'll try not to make it rushed, of course. I've read a book where the main character started out being eighteen and by the end she was forty. So, I'm going to try and do what that author did but not be so direct where it's literally One month later written at the top of the chapter. I did that for this and I hated doing that because I felt like I was just rushing it. I won't be doing that for my thg fanfic.