Epilogue

My mates are right. Keeping my humanity has become harder ever since. A simple trigger causes me overwhelming emotions, urging me to merge with my lyall once again. It's like sugar to an acutely diabetic person, alcohol to one with cirrhosis.

Euan and Luca continuously help me with coping and learning to manage my emotions and mind.

It has been a month since we went back from Fortis Lupos and nothing extraordinary has happened.

Although something in my gut makes me feel anxious.

It's always calm before a storm – everything goes perfectly quiet.

The creak of the door brings me out from my trance. My mates come in walking towards me, as I am seated on the bed.

They give me smiles but I can tell that they bring bad news.

"What is it?"

They both sigh heavily as they sit down on either of my sides, their shoulders slouching.

"The Monarchy pressed for a meeting with Alcmene's officials in two days."

I look down on my hands which are fiddling with one another and whisper. "Do you think they know?"

Luca cups my chin and directs my face towards him. He doesn't speak but his eyes tell me the answer.

I exhale in defeat and allow my mates to embrace my shivering body.

"I... I'm scared."

"Do not worry, bella mia. We are with you." Euan presses a long, meaningful kiss on my neck.

"Always." Luca adds in a whisper.

***

The time for the meeting with the Monarchy's envoy has dawned.

It's Belle's first time to be in their pack's conference room together with the Alpha, Beta, Gamma, together with their mates, as well as the twenty Deltas of Alcmene and the members of its two councils for a private meeting.

They are all seated properly, waiting for the entry of their guests.

Belle is sitting on the chair designated for defendants, her stomach filled with uneasiness. She can't help the tapping of her foot against the tiled floor. She looks down on her knees, willing them to stop shaking.

Euan and Luca - and simply anyone, actually - can sense her anxiety. They, too, if they have to be honest, are worried. More than her even. Nonetheless, they hide their emotions quite well.

The sound of the door opening seems louder than usual. Belle's foot stills as she slowly lifts her head. Everyone looks expectantly and eyes the foreigners.

Behind Brent and Carter, who serve as ushers to the guests, suffocating strength can be felt. It's a wonder how Brent and Carter maintain straight faces and dignified composures. Just from their auras alone, anyone automatically knows not to mess with them, the Monarchy's envoy.

As the two young men lead them, the footsteps of the unfamiliar persons echo around the huge room, resonating with the loud beating of Belle's heart inside her chest.

A tall woman leads the group. She exudes grace and strength, complimented by her strict clothing and impeccable appearance – crisp black ensemble with her blonde hair tied tightly in a high ponytail.

Not one of the members of the envoy allows their eyes to wander, but instead they set their compelling gaze directly to the Alpha's direction.

Once greetings and formalities have been done, everyone takes their places and the woman, who's name is Alexandrine, stands to state their business.

Alexandrine tells the crowd the story of the fallen pack - Fortis Lupos.

Everyone is clearly appalled, not knowing how all of it could be true.

Belle drowns in their eyes. Even without looking, she can feel them on her skin, each pair leaving hot trails of judgements.

"Having said that, Ms. Bea Mireille Wood, you are called upon by the Monarchy." Alexandrine speaks sharply.

Belle wishes that her mates are beside her at this very moment. She looks at them and they hold her gaze, giving her a little wave of comfort.

'Love, we are with you.' Luca links to her.

'We will be with you through all of this, bella mia.' Euan says with determination.

However, those promising words are not enough to still her heart which is pounding loudly, wanting to escape her chest, almost deafening.

Belle swallows, the gesture not subtle and does not go unnoticed by the pairs of eyes directed towards her.

She clears her throat and speaks loudly. "I understand."