Child Care

"Good grief..." Shikadai spoke without meaning to. "It seems great-grandfather was just as bad of a parent as grandfather was, if not worse. Actually, it rather explains why mother's father ended up the way he did. That's a lot of energy to exert to just cope with said parenting methods. I'm glad my parents are rather hands off like they are, though mum tends to be at times over protective, and a stickler for etiquette. This may be why. Still, they rather balance each other out."

"Something the matter, Shikadai?" One of Ebizo's eyebrows went up, and the old man smirked at him.

"No, not really."

Sarada's eyes drifted away. "Well, I admit that there isn't much romance going on. A certain someone is absolutely clueless, like someone else I know."

"Yeah, guys are clueless when it comes to romance." Chocho looked over at Gaara. "Isn't the Kazekage an example?"

Gaara's head darted up, his books forgotten on the floor still. Sarada continued with what she wanted to say. "That said, even though there isn't romance, I really need to admit this part is interesting."

Metal Lee nodded his head. "It is interesting. I couldn't imagine my father even forbidding me from training."

Baruto let out a shudder. "Yeah, but look at the kind of training you do, and how much you enjoy it. Imagine if you didn't."

"Yeah, but I was thinking that this is important to this Lord Rasa person. It's a very major punishment to be forbidden."

"Except it wasn't a punishment." Ebizo spoke up.

"I don't see how it wasn't." Metal Lee rolled over onto his back. "Still, I'll listen to the story and find out. I may learn something new."

...

Rasa woke up again with the sun beating down into his eyes from his window, and he sat up letting out a groan. His body was stiff due to yesterday's chaotic events, but he brushed everything off. He quickly changed into his clothing, only to stop shortly upon remembering what his father had said about being removed from active duty. His hand hesitated over his bag of kunai, wondering if he was allowed to have shinobi tools on them.

"I'd rather not be without them, in case I am attacked. I can't imagine what some of the guys think." Rasa's mind wandered to the fact some of the shinobi his age talked behind his back about special treatment, and he wondered if there was any truth to the matter, that he received special treatment because of who his father was. "Well, no more apparently."

Rasa headed down stairs, and stopped short upon seeing his mother in the kitchen. His brown eyes darted away, not wanting to look the woman in the eye due to the fact he'd managed to dishonor the family yesterday. "Good morning, Lady Chiyo." He could feel the woman's eyes boring into him, and felt like hiding under the table. "Why shouldn't she be disappointed. The birth of nii-san was completely planned, but my birth... that was an unfortunate accident."

A rough hand dragged fingers through his hair in a manner that sent a shiver down his spine due to the unexpected gentleness. The fourteen year old looked up to see the man with gray hair looking down on him, a mischievous glint he'd never seen in the man's eyes before. "Call her mother Rasa. She is after all your mother."

"But, Lord Kazekage..." Rasa watched as his father headed to the table, his mouth twisting down in confusion as to why his father wasn't out training. Another thought crossed his mind. "He's treating me like a child. After all the hard work I've put in, I've been reduced to a child. Did I dishonor him that much."

"No buts. Try calling me father instead of by my title."

"But it is your title."

"Sit." Chiyo's voice barked out the order, and Rasa sat down across from his father, his eyes refusing to look the man in the eye. Nothing really made sense to him, and in some ways Rasa found the treatment far worse then the training he went through.

"Have I ever used a title with you boy?"

A sigh of relief left Rasa's mouth. "At least that's more like the reaction I expect from the old man." Chiyo placed a plate of food in front of him, and the fourteen year old began to eat.

"It is also most certainly a lot politer then you calling me old man." This comment made Rasa choke, but the third Kazekage had more to say. "And your calling Lady Tsunade an old lady..."

"We promised her that wouldn't come up in our conversation."

Rasa felt his mouth twist. "Please tell me all of this isn't because you're what, taking advice from that..." Realization that he'd almost said the words old hag stopped him, and he rephrased what he said. "Isn't she the same age as mother?" Rasa's eyes drifted down. "... that lady?"

"Well that's better." His father laughed, causing a shiver to run down Rasa's spine, and the fourteen year old refused to look up. "It's quite laughable that we're taking advice from Lady Tsunade on parenting, when the woman isn't a parent herself. No, what we discussed with her was something else."

The fourteen year old ground his teeth together, and looked up at his father, who was now eating breakfast with them as if they were a normal family. "And what about training?"

"You're banned from training, remember?"

"That's not what I'm talking about! Why aren't you at training." Rasa flinched as his father looked up at him, the smile leaving the man's face.

"Why am I not? The morning training was for you."

"If you think I'm ungrateful..." Rasa stood up, almost knocking his breakfast foods over. "Except I am. I'm not the least bit grateful to be pounded into the ground every single day, and having to be patched up by mother."

"The subject is closed Rasa." The man noticed the flask at Rasa's side, as well as the tools.

The fourteen year old noticed, and his words snapped out. "What? Does this ban include banning me from defending myself should I be attacked? I may be banned from duties, and studies, but that does not mean I'm going to carelessly lay down my tools."

"I won't object to you carrying your tools, but if I catch you using them to study, well..." The man looked his son in the eye. "What you'll have to worry about isn't going to be your tools taken from you, but finding yourself locked in your room."

Rasa ground his teeth together, sitting down as he couldn't think of anything else to say. He went back to eating until a small tug made him look to his side to see his young nephew. "What is it Sasori?"

"You're not on Anbu duty?"

"Who knows when I'll be on Anbu duty again."

"So, does that mean you'll be coming to my entrance ceremony?"

One of Rasa's eyebrows rose up. "What do you mean?"

"Don't worry Sasori. Rasa will be taking you to your entrance ceremony, so he will be there. He's also free to play with you for the few days leading up."

A hot heat spread across Rasa's cheeks, and he turned to look at his father. "Hold on a second."

"This is important to Sasori."

"And what about what is important to me?" Rasa glared at his father. "Seriously, training is important to me despite the fact I don't appreciate getting my ass handed to me." A strangled sound came from beside him, and he looked down to look at his young nephew. The boy's face looked pained, and then Sasori turned on his heals to hurry off. Rasa stood up realizing the child was going off to cry. "Wait. I didn't mean..."

"You need to be more careful what you say." Chiyo spoke up, and Rasa flinch expecting her to punish him. No punishment however came.