Pain of Family

"What are you doing here?"

Rasa felt his throat tighten upon hearing the feminine voice and knew the young preteen girl was glaring daggers into his back yet again. The aburn-haired teen turned his head to see Karura glaring at him, her hand clutching onto her brother's sleeve as the sandy-haired boy looked around with his indigo eyes wide with wonder. In some ways, this scared Rasa, the way the boy seemed to always be happy. "What are you doing here?"

Karura remained silent. "Today's mine and Yashamaru's first day in the academy, so we're coming to the opening ceremony with our grandfather."

The fourteen-year-old felt the corners of his mouth twist up. "Hold on a second. Aren't you two too old to be in your first year at the academy?"

"Aren't you too old to be hanging around a bunch of children, perverted old geezer?"

"You!" Rasa felt his hands ball up into fists.

"Karura!" An older man with brown hair glared at the girl, his fingers tightening around his elbows. The man's mouth was twisted up into a scowl that rivaled the thirds when the man got irritated. The man made a quick bow. "Lord Rasa, Lady Chiyo, I apologize for my granddaughter's impertinence. I also apologize for the fact she laid a hand on you the other day."

The fourteen-year-old felt the color drain from his face. "Seriously, I wish he'd keep quiet about that." Rasa continued to glare at Karura, letting go of Sasori's hand in the process. A small gasp came from the boy's mouth, and yet Rasa didn't notice. "Knock if off with the old geezer bit."

"Rasa..." Lady Chiyo's voice didn't phase him either.

"I'm here with my nephew, as this is a family thing." Rasa quickly poked the girl in the forehead and watched Karura's eyebrow twitch, her mouth twitching.

"Don't touch me pervert."

Rasa flinched at the sound of a loud resounding slap, but quickly realized he wasn't the one slapped. The man calling himself the two sandy-haired children's grandfather slapped Karura across the cheek. A few tears welled in her eyes, but they did not fall, the young lady remaining defiant as everyone stood on watching.

The fourteen-year-old clenched his fists tighter and made to move his arm, only for Lady Chiyo to grab his arm. Glancing back he watched her shake her head, letting him know he wasn't to interfere. Instead, she stepped forward and grabbed onto Karura's sleeve. "Come now. Let's get a salve on that cheek of yours." The woman then looked up at the man, her eyes dark. Instead of addressing him, she said something to her son instead. "Rasa, I'm disappointed that you reacted to a ten-year-old girl's taunting like that."

The two disappeared for a few moments, and Sasori looked up at the man with his dead to the world eyes. "You're evil. I hate you."

Rasa let out a sigh, talking Sasori's hand to hopefully prevent the boy from doing something stupid. "You hate everybody Sasori."

...

"Eh, you boys seem rather deep in thought." Ebizo leaned back in his chair, looking right at his two grand-nephews.

Shikadai, however, spoke up. "So, since they live in the same place, where do Uncle Gaara and Uncle Kankuro stay. Whose rooms do they have?"

"Oh? Well, there is a lot of rooms."

"I bet your uncle Gaara got stuck with that creepy Sasori's room." Inojin piped up, laughing as he did so.

"No. Lord Gaara's room was actually Lord Rasa's. It's Lord Kankuro who has Sasori's room. Actually, Lord Gaara moved into the room that was the thirds and Lady Chiyo's which at one time also belonged to Lady Karura and Lord Rasa."

"Yeah." Kankuro finally chooses to speak. "I like your story and all, but father actually managed to attend our opening day ceremony. Right, Gaara?"

Gaara's mouth deepened. "No."

Boruto let out a snort rolling over on his stomach. "My father missed mine. By that I mean he was off doing some official kage business. So I get how it is."

"Did he have one of his shadow clones officiate?"

"No, I did Kankuro." Gaara continued to frown. "It was Shikadai's opening ceremony as well. I believe something had happened to your younger sister that day." The auburn-haired kage felt his mouth twitch. "Also, I meant no, as in I never had an opening ceremony. I never actually attended the academy. Graduated, yes, but never attended."

Sarada blinked a couple of times. "Oh, well, um... let's get on the story. I want to hear whether or not he's smart enough to be her prince charming or not."

"No." Kankuro shook his head. "Not the old man."