Break Down

The entire class stared at Karura, her comment having unsettled what was left of her year. The teacher cleared his voice, and he turned to the board. One of the students, however, interrupted the lecture. "Should we really be having class when the other students aren't here?"

"It's their fault for skipping out on class." The teacher continued his lesson, and Karura looked down, the man's voice drowning on about things she already knew. Her fingers tapped the top of the desk and her indigo eyes picked up the girl who greeted her moving in a nervous manner, leaving her to wonder if her one chance at a friendship had slipped out the window.

The class finally ended, and the girl cleared her throat. "Well, you really did it, didn't you?"

Karura's mouth opened, but she didn't know what to say, as the girl was still a complete stranger. Her indigo colored eyes drifted to the ground, and she stood up.

A hand reached out to grab her wrist. "Hold on. I'm not going to abandon you because you do something crazy. I mean, calling Rasa-nii a pervert is pretty crazy in itself if you think about it. Plus, someone has to watch out for you, as you are the new girl."

"Don't worry. I can take care of myself."

"Yeah, well, with a Sanin as a teacher, you must be able to." The girl looked at the other students as they left. "I don't know if anyone else figured that out, though."

"The fact Lady Tsunade is my teacher isn't supposed to be a secret. My brother and I are...." Karura shook her head, a smile pulling across her face. "Never mind. It's really not important. We're both trained in medical ninjitsu. I need to fetch my brother."

The girl offered to come with, and Karura felt no reason to refuse. Arriving at her brother's class revealed no Yashamaru, but one of the girls giggled, letting her know that the sandy-haired boy had headed off with some of the others to the training area. Karura sighed, shaking her head.

"Is training that bad?"

"Our grandfather wanted us to come straight home. He's not fond of us, so it's really best not to get on his bad side." The girl led her to the training area and Karura saw her sandy-haired younger brother sitting at the side, smiling at the other boys. A smile spread across her face. "Good. He's not caused any trouble."

"Your brother doesn't look like he'd be much trouble."

"No, Yashamaru has a knack for finding trouble." Karura watched as Yashmaru waved at her, and she waved back. She opened her mouth to say they should go, only for one of the boys from Yashmaru's class to speak up.

"Hey, Yashamaru. Do you want to take a stab at this training dummy? You can use any kind of ninjitsu you want."

"Taijutsu?"

"Come on. Taijutsu's just not that cool."

Yashamaru shrugged his shoulders and began to walk over to the training dummy. Karura felt the color drain for her cheeks, and her legs moved quickly so she moved to stand in front of her brother, stopping him from doing anything. "We need to be going home, Ya-chan. Grandfather is waiting for us."

"Oh yeah. That is true. Do you think if I ask he'll let me stay late tomorrow to train with everybody."

"I doubt it." Karura looked at the ground. "You can ask, but I can't say for sure." She whispered lightly so only her brother could hear. "Plus, us using taijutsu is not a good idea."

The smile on her brother's face widened. "Got it. No taijutsu."

The sandy-haired nine years old wished he hadn't said that out loud, as this drew the attention of Yashmaru's classmates. "What do you mean no taijutsu. It's not that great of stuff, but we still have to practice it."