Outcast in a Sea of Sand

"Good morning class." The teacher stood at the front of the classroom, their eyes on the older students while their eyes remained focused on the sandy-haired young female standing next to the teacher. "This is Karura. She will be joining the class today, so be nice to her."

One of the girls leaned over to whisper into another girl's ear. "Isn't she a bit late to be a new student."

Her companion turned to her. "Don't you know. That girl's one of the refugees. She's late starting at the academy because she happens to be from the farming district in the land of the fire."

"So then she's some kind of half breed? Aren't all of the kids from that place half-breeds, unless their parents married here?"

"Certainly. Her mannerisms certainly leave a lot to be desired. Didn't you hear her calling Lord Rasa a pervert, and how her grandfather said she also attacked the Kazekage's son as well? She's barbaric. A monster." The other girl continued, glaring at Karura. "In fact, shouldn't she be in with the first years? There is no way she has any kind of ninja training, that brat."

The teacher beckoned Karura to an empty seat, and the sandy-haired preteen sat down near the group of girls. Glancing over allowed her to see the other young girls wrinkle of their noses, before turning to continue their gossip. A young girl next to her leaned over. "Just ignore them. Ako and Kumihimo are like all the other girls, completely gaga over the Kazekage's son. The only reason they like him is because he's in line to be the next Kazekage."

"I'm sure they're not that shallow. It's probably something more along the lines of them liking him for his looks." Karura turned to the person, but paused, not at all sure if she should say anymore. The salve on her cheek felt good but did nothing to erase the memory.

"Let me guess. Your first experience with Rasa-nii didn't go well, did it?"

Karura's indigo eyes narrowed, wondering if the girl was setting her up for some kind of trap. "Have you had a negative experience with him?"

"Yeah. I don't want him to ever babysit me again."

"He's a pervert?" Karura swallowed, remembering how the young man had stared at her, his eyes not leaving her own.

"No, I wouldn't say that. Nothing perverted happened. My mother would kill him if something had."

"Even with who he is?"

"Yes."

"Yes. Definitely with who he is. She wouldn't be the only one either. That lady who bandaged your cheek..."

The other girl stopped short, catching a glimpse of Kumihimo raising her hand up into the air. "Sensei?"

The teacher looked up, frowning at the young lady. "What is it Kumihimo?"

"Should the new girl even be in this class? All of us have been practicing for some time, so it's only fair that we question this, isn't it."

The teacher stared at the young female. "Actually, we have the word of one of Konoha's..."

"Screw Konoha! We can't trust their word."

Karura flinched, and the other girl leaned over. "If you're related to anyone in Konoha, it's best not to say."

"Don't worry. Sensei already warned me about that." The young sandy-haired female flinched as a wad of paper hit her in the forehead.

"Now see here! I won't be having any of this!" The teacher clapped his hands, only to find himself pummeled with paper balls while the culprit ran out of the room.

"No way I'm going to be taught by a Konoha supporter."

The other students stood up, including the two girls, leaving half the students there. "Well, that's nice. What I was going to say is we have the word of one of Konoha's legendary Sanin that our new student is up to par. Karura watched as the other students looked around nervously, before standing up to follow suit. The sandy-blond watched, her mouth pushed together. The other girl remained, and so did a small handful of students. The teacher let out a sigh. "What?"

The dark haired girl raised her hand. "Not to offend sensei, but a lot of people are still upset with the fact Konoha beat us, and it was the Sanin who made this possible."

Karura pushed her lips together, her hands tightening around the table, her knuckles white. One of the boy's raised his hand. "What exactly is so special about the legendary Sanin? I mean..."

One of his companions elbowed him in the ribs. "Lady Tsunade, she beat all of Lady Chiyo's poisons. Plus, they're really tough."

"Yeah, but why? I mean, what makes them special compared to other shinobi?"

The nine-year-old pushed her lips together, glancing down at the ground, her fingers turning even more white. "I know why, but to say..."

"Maybe the new girl knows."

The entire class left in the room focused on her, and the dark haired girl she just met looked worried. The teacher rubbed the back of his head. "You don't have to say anything if you don't want to, Karura."

"Yeah, but whose side is she on."

Karura took a deep breath. "Neither. I am a medical specialist." Yet the words didn't come out. "I'm,,:

"Well?"

"As the teacher said, you don't have to say anything."

The girl stood up to bow to her class. "Apologies, but I don't know what makes them special. Sensei gambles, Orichimaru looks like a creepy snake, and old man Jariaya is a pervert, which also creeps me out."

...

"No, no, no." Kankuro shook his head, his mouth twisting up in dismay, forcing the makeup on his face to wrinkle up in an unpleasant manner. "That is not ka-chan."

"What do you mean?" Gaara's head darted up, the books at his feet long forgotten.

"Our mother never did anything unladylike. She would never blurt something out like that."

"I'm confused." The auburn-haired Kazekage stared at his older brother, his mouth twisted up into a frown. "I see mother doing that."

"Really?" Kankuro let out an exasperated sound, all of the young shinobi from Konoha watching to see what happened next.

"Why would mother lie? She's simply telling the truth, isn't she?"

The puppet master stared at his younger brother, then rubbed the back of his head. "Good grief. I forget the fact you don't know how to do anything but tell the truth."

"Is that really a bad thing?"

Shikadai felt his cheeks flush up, and he looked away. "Sometimes Uncle Gaara, I do wish you were a little less truthful. Some of the things you say are rather embarrassing."

"They are?"

Ebizo cleared his throat as the girls in the room rolled their eyes. "Perhaps I should continue the story."