Inside to Outside

"So, the goal of this punishment is to remove something that is held dear to the person? By this I mean the actual training regimen?" Metal Lee sat up, a frown upon his face. "But training is youth, and life, so taking training away, that is not simply a punishment, but physical, and mental torture."

A twinkle appeared on the fifth Kazekage's face, and Kankuro turned his head to look at his brother. "What are you thinking now?"

"I was just thinking that proctor we had during the chunin exam, if he'd used that, then I wouldn't have fought who I did."

Kankuro's mouth twisted, and he shook his head. "Gaara, sometimes I wonder about you. No, I always wonder about you, but sometimes you manage to do something that makes even my expectations for you not quite fit."

In the meantime Baruto's mouth moved back and forth, and he then let out a snapping sound. "So, I actually see the punishment as something else. I would hate it if I were forced to spend more then an hour with Himawari. Actually, five minutes is my limit. I can't do anything more then that. Yet here he is spending weeks with this kid Sasori? I kind of can't blame the forth Kazekage for being mental."

"Hey," Kankuro folded his arms across his chest. "Younger siblings aren't that bad. Gaara and I actually get along quite well, don't we."

"There was a time you went around picking fights with younger kids because I annoyed you."

A silence fell over the room as the color left Shikadai's facial features. "You what?"

"I think our nephew is upset with you Kankuro."

"That's rather obvious Gaara." Kankuro let out a sigh. "Not to excuse my behavior, but that was a long time ago, back when Gaara was still, well, the way he used to be."

...

Breakfast didn't settle well in Rasa's stomach. He honestly felt the punishment was a major blow, degrading him from being treated like an adult, to being treated like a child. Sasori didn't come out of his room, and Chiyo wouldn't let Rasa leave the house without his young nephew. "Exactly where are you going?"

"Out."

"But where to? Do you have any place to go, to spend your time."

Rasa's jaw ground together, and his eyes drifted to the ground. "All of the places I would normally go are not options, as they involve shinobi training, or study."

"All right. Then what friends are young going to hang out with."

"What friends?" The fourteen year old stared at the woman blankly. "Do you really think I've had time to form friendships with people? I didn't graduate with my age group either, and I'm... I was the youngest on the Anbu."

"So where do those your age hang out?"

Another blank look went her way. "Excuse me? I'm not going to hang out as if I'm some little kid. I..." Rasa took a deep breath. "I almost brought up the fact I'm a shinobi, when right now I'm not." He folded his arms across his chest. "First, I doubt once I get back to my duties once this punishment is over that forming some kind of bond with people will do me any good. I honestly can't see how it would. Second, I doubt any of them would want to hang out with me."

"Then you stay put until Sasori is ready to go out and play."

Rasa took a deep breath. "In case you haven't noticed, Sasori's locked himself up in his room again. I really don't like being cooped up like this."

"Alright. Convince Sasori to go out with you to play."

"I'm not a little kid." Rasa felt his throat tighten, but the urge to get out of the confined space where the rest of his relatives were made him head to the red haired child's room. He knocked on the door, and didn't expect any positive results. When no answer came, he reached up to knock on the door again, only for the door to open and two brown colored eyes peek out. "Hi."

"Go away."

The door started shut, but Rasa shoved his foot into the doorjamb. "No way. How long has it been since you've been outside."

"Yesterday. I don't need to go out again. I don't like going out. There is nothing to do."

The fourteen year old stared down at the five year old. "Hold on. You were out by the gate when you're not supposed to go there. Why did you go?"

"I don't know." Sasori looked up at the boy. "I was looking for you. I hate you though."

Rasa stared at the boy for a few minutes. "Still, I'm sure there is plenty to do outside. Don't you have any friends to play with?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Everybody's stupid."

"That's not a very nice thing to say."

"You say that all the time about the kids your age."

"I'm not a kid." Rasa took a deep breath. "Come on. I can't go outside unless you come with me."

"I'm mad at you."

"I figured as much." The fourteen year old finally had enough, and reached down to grab Sasori by the back of his clothing. "We're going outside. I can't believe you enjoy being stuck inside here."

"You don't care about what I want!"

Rasa felt his mouth twitch as Sasori turned another thing he'd said to his mother on him. "I'm going to your entrance ceremony."

"You don't want to."

"I..." Rasa frowned. "I don't really know if I do, or if I don't. Honestly, I don't care if you go and hang out with kids your age. I just want to get out of the house, and Lady Chiyo's not letting me go outside without you."

"You don't care about what I want."

"I thought you want-ed to do something with me." Rasa watched the boy's mouth twist up, and Sasori look away. The boy turned his head to look at his uncle.

"Yes. I want to play with Rasa. Rasa's mine."

The fourteen year old cleared his throat. "That never stops being creepy." The teen turned on his heals. "I'll meet you at the front door."

Rasa waited there while Chiyo bustled about working on her poisons. Sometimes the teen wondered if she were going to poison him, but brushed away the anxiety he felt around the woman. The teen felt a tug on his hand, and looked down to see Sasori looking up at him, with that strange look on his face. He yanked his hand away, and frowned at the frown on the red haired boy's face. The child didn't cry, but simply followed after. Rasa found a place on top of a roof, and sat looking up at the sky.

Sasori sat next to him, his feet dangling over the edge of the roof. The child finally spoke up. "This is boring. I want to play with puppets."

"I'm horrible at puppets. Think of something else."

"What does one do if they don't play with puppets?"

"I believe that children your age go and play with others their age."

"Don't want to."

Rasa let out a deep breath.

"I want to go home."

"And that means I'm stuck inside." Rasa let out a deep breath. Arguing with a five year old was a pain, as they had a way of being quite stubborn. He headed back to the house, and Chiyo looked up at them.

"The two of you are back already?"

"Sasori got bored."

"You didn't take him to the area the children used for a playground?"

"He said he didn't want to play with the other children."

"Rasa, you're supposed to be playing with him. That means taking him to the playground. It will do the two of you good."

"Great." Rasa glanced down at the boy, who was now making a funny face.

Sasori tugged at his sleeve. "Rasa, I don't want to go."

The fourteen year old felt a rather gleeful feeling flutter through. "Oh? Well Lady Chiyo said you have to go, so don't look at me to get you out of this."