Chapter One

(2045)

James Point of view

It was summer vacation at last. Time to get tanned, go to camp, have fun in the sun and make new friends.

Wait… what am I talking about? I have a bedroom with video games, a computer and avatars to level up waiting for me at home!

 “See you later, Jarred!” I called to my lanky, gamer friend, Jarred.

 “See you!” Jarred smiled, walking away.

 “Ah…” I sighed sitting down in my computer chair. “Games, games and more games!”

 I have all summer now to catch up on my gaming. I slipped my large headphones over my ears as World of Warcraft loaded on my computer screen.

 I clicked the mouse a few times and the communication window popped up on the screen.

 “Jarred?” I spoke into the microphone, attached to my headphones.

 “James?” Jarred answered.

 “OK, lets get questing!” I clicked my level sixty-six-blade master that resembled my own face, black, straight shoulder-length hair, pale skin and blue eyes.

 My avatar name is DragonMan97 and it is equipped with heavy armor. It is awesome!

 “Should we start by killing the Crocolisks?” Jarred asked.

 “Yeah then we will visit the town tailor to get that helmet.” I told him.

 “Ok dude.” Jarred sighed.

“Shit!” I shouted, slamming my fist to my desk. “These stupid things keep killing me!”

“I know…but why don’t you use a scroll or what ever?” Jarred suggested.

 “I’m saving it for a special occasion!” I huffed with a pout.

 Suddenly I heard a shout from downstairs. “JAMES .P. HARRISON!”…My mom…

 “One minute, Jarred. My mom is calling me…” I told him.

 “Full name?” Jarred asked.

 “Yup.” I answered, popping the p. I slipped off my headset and put it down. My room was dark and I stumbled over my stuff a couple times before being able to get out.

 “YEAH MOM?” I called out down the hall. “WHERE ARE YOU?”

 “IN THE OFFICE ON THE BOTTOM FLOOR!” My mom called out.

 “Dammit.” I was on the third floor of this ridiculous mansion. I jogged down the two flights of stairs while my 3 little sisters ran up and down them with their dolls.

 “Hey dad…” I turned the corner when I got to the first floor and found my dad sitting in his own office.

 My dad coughed and flipped through his papers. I sighed and walked past the cook and a couple of maids. I passed the dining room where we hosted dinner parties with the crystal chandelier hanging and sparkling.

 “Mom?” I asked knocking on her office door.

 “Come in, James.” My mom told me. I opened the door and slid in, as I was told.

 “You wanted me?” I asked shyly. My mom ran an airline and my dad was a judge so that makes them kind of scary and then the rest of my family is just bloody rich which is cool.

 “Yes, I wanted to let you know that you are going to camp for a month and you are leaving in four days time.” My mom said firmly, not even looking at me.

 “What?” I felt my jaw drop in shock. Physical activity? “No.” I huffed and started to walk out. I’m NOT missing out on one month out of two of gaming.

 “Yes, yes you are.” My mom slapped her hand firmly on her desk and I froze and turned, she was looking me straight in the eye now…scary much.

 “But why?” I whined dropping my shoulders and pouting like a child.

 “Stop acting so childish!” My mom stood up.

 “But why do I have to go to camp?”

 “Because I know, your father knows, you know and even your little friend, Jarred knows that you are just going to coop yourself up in your bedroom playing games!”

 “BUT MOM!”

 “Don’t you ‘but’ me! You are going to camp whether you like it or not!”

 I sighed angrily and crossed my arms as I leaned against the wall. I attempted to stare down my mother but she won. “Fine…just at least tell me about the camp.”

 My mom smiled a small and faint smile. “Thank you, James. Here is the pamphlet." My mom handed me a pamphlet then looked back down at her papers.

 I sat down in a chair in front of her office desk and looked at the pamphlet’s cover. It showed a bunch of multi-cultural teenagers laying down on the grass smiling and holding hands. The camp was called ‘Camp Lion Heart’

 “Camp Lion Heart! Where the fun never stops!” I read aloud, sarcastically. I looked through the pages and skimmed through the notes inside…hundred and fifty dollars for each week for one camper. WHAT? “You are paying six hundred dollars just so you can get me out of the house?”

 “Yeah, and?” my mom sighed looking up at me through her thin glasses.

 “That is so much money for a month!”

 “No it isn’t.”

 “Well I guess we are filthy rich…” I chuckled to myself.

 “Don’t use that tone with me mister.” My mom snapped, she was very proud of our life style.

 “Yeah, yeah, yeah…but why do I have to go to camp? Why not use the money to go on a trip to Europe and hike around places?” I suggested. Cough, cough...making excuses.

 “Because I have already paid for the camp and you are registered. You are leaving in four days so I suggest that you prepare your suitcases and things you need.” My mom searched through a drawer on her desk then pulled a paper out with her handwriting surrounding the already typed stuff. “Here is the list of things you need.”

 “Sounds like you’re kicking me out of the house or something.” I huffed.

 “James, none of that. Now go get some stuff ready.” My mom looked down at her computer and papers again and I walked away with the pamphlet and list.

 I guess I’m going to camp.