Chapter 2: Volunteer

Silver stood back, looking at the finished product. A large metal dragon stood in front of her, nearly twice as large as her with wings spread and a snarling expression on its face. Beside the fact that it was made out of mettle, it looked like an ice dragon, with a row of long spikes coming from the back of its neck. Its wings were open, as if in a fight, and its hind legs crouched, ready to pounce at the enemy. It was the first ice dragon she had sculptured, and she was rather proud of it.

Looking around her cave she took notice of the other few sculptures. It wasn't exactly her largest collection, as far as she knew that was still in dragon valley, the place where she had lived the first six and a half years of her life. She often wondered if she could go back and retrieve the collection, but with the infamous dragon hunters known as A.O.D.H slowly moving across the globe, going anywhere that wasn't Sky Mountain was extremely dangerous.

The dragoness slowly turned around from the statues and walked to the exit of her cave, looking out at the forest beyond. When she was a hatchling she used to hate sleeping alone, and was always with her brothers, but now, she was glad to have this space. It cleared her mind, and helped against the stress and heartbreak. Not many dragons really knew of the tranquillity that a place like this could afford. It was amazing.

Silver opened her wings and flapped them once, lifting herself into the air with a single beat. Once she was high enough she quickly sped up, flying toward the huge mountain that was the centre of a massive crater that pocketed the mountain range. Sky Mountain. It was arguably the biggest mountain in the world. Sure, Mt Everest was taller, but that was only because Sky Mountain's base was lower in the earth then its counterpart. If not for the illusion that surrounded it, the dragon haven would be easily visible for miles around.

There weren't many dragons around this early in the morning, but there were a few early rises that took advantage of the rather empty skies. A few of them nodded to her in greeting, and she nodded back. That morning she felt a little lighter then she had in a while, and focused on enjoying the moment. The sky was clear of clouds, for once, letting sunlight bask the crater. It was sad that she couldn't be up here longer.

She dipped in the air and glided through the large entrance of Sky Mountain. It was probably the most welcoming part, with green trees planted in specifically designed gardens, that when looked at from above created a large model of a dragon with its wings outstretched. A stream wound its way through the entrance, coming from a waterfall within The Centre. It never ceased to amaze, and Silver was still wondering how dragons, not the most careful of creatures, had managed to create a thing of such beauty.

The dragoness knew her way around the mountain quite well now, and was easily able to find her way exactly to where she wanted to be. She made her way into what was known as The Nest. It was another large cavern, with jagged rocky cliffs pockmarked with thousands of caves. It was where most dragons nested, and where Silver herself had spent the first few months here. The sight of it made her a little sceptical. Dragons weren't meant to stay inside.

Without missing a beat she flew upwards to the very top, where the higher-ranking dragons of Sky Mountain lived. She had been offered a cave up there, but had declined, preferring to live on the outside of the mountain. Typically it was where the more dangerous of dragons lived, the ones that were close to being thrown from Sky Mountain, but Silver far preferred it to the crowded inside of the mountain.

She landed on the edge of a cave right at the top. It had a large opening, which was well needed for the dragons it housed. She walked inside to a place where the cave split into three, and turned to the one on the far right. She had never been to the other two, and frankly didn't want to.