Chapter 21: A Change of Heart

Silver woke slowly as a strangely refreshing feeling ran through her body. It made her sigh in relief. The intense pain slowly washed away, replaced by a soothing sensation. It made her smile slightly, not having remembered a time when she felt this good, It made her want to keep her eyes closed and drift to sleep, but curiosity got the better of her. Instead she opened her eyes, wondering what the source of this strange feeling was, and she saw a life dragon standing above her, the last remnants of green energy pouring out of its mouth and into her.

Slowly the life dragon, a male she now realised, stepped away from her, looking utterly exhausted. He staggered slightly before shaking himself and looking behind him at another dragon that Silver couldn't see yet. Their words were muddled when they spoke and slowly the life dragon nodded his head, before turning and leaving her field of vision.

Silver stayed as she was, revelling in the last amounts of life energy that had been put into her, before it slowly disappeared to be replaced by the cold of an ice floor and a heavy wave of heat coming from in front of her. Briefly she wondered what had happened for her to end up in such a state, then she remembered. Her head shot up, followed by small whimper as a headache raged her. She groaned.

"You're awake," said the musical voice of the dragoness that had defeated her.

Silver waited until the pain in her head had died away before looking up. Firefly was sitting on the other side of a set of bars, which had just recently slid back into place. The fire dragon's gaze bored into her, questioning, evaluating.... and relieved. The strange heat that often wound through the air around Firefly was less then usual, and her wings were loose at her side, showing exhaustion.

A sudden realisation hit Silver. She had lost. That meant no freedom. Not completing her mission. Being handed of to A.O.D.H. A gulp ran through her and she glanced around the cages around her. Zepos was watching her, his eyes sad and questioning, while Retrix looked strangely angry. Not at Silver, but at Firefly.

"Are you feeling alright?" the fire dragoness asked, genuinely worried.

Silver lowered her head, "I... I guess."

Firefly sighed, "I didn't want to win you know. I didn't want to have to defeat you, but Zoralth gave the order that no matter what you had to stay captured. At first I assumed it was because you held important information on Eldawin's Syndicate, that you would give to D.E.D. Now... I don't know."

The metal dragon raised her head, looking at Firefly and feeling slightly relieved. She opened her mouth to speak but stopped again, glancing around. She was back in the prison, and Thylo's warning rang through her. The mind dragon was likely watching at this very moment, and wouldn't let her say anything that would give away Zoralth and himself.

"If you're worried about Thylo, he isn't going to here anything. I knocked him out before I came in here, just to make sure," said Firefly.

Silver's eyes widened in surprise.

The other dragoness chuckled, "Don't look so surprised. I know how that worm operates, and I didn't want to take the chance that he was making you forcibly withhold information."

A sigh of relief escaped Silver, "Thank you."

"Don't, the only reason I did so is because I want answers. We made a deal, and I'm going to see it through."

The silver dragon nodded, "Go ahead."

"Why are you in here? Yeah, there's always the fact that you could be working for D.E.D, but I'm thinking that was a ploy. Did you make Zoralth mad at you or something?"