Chapter 24: Out of Time Part 1

The first thing Silver felt as she began to regain consciousness was the smooth, comforting sensation of her metal nest. The cool touch caressed her bare yellow scales, causing her to sigh in contentment. She went to move, trying to curl up closer around herself, and she growled as a sharp jab of pain ran up through her spine. Her eyes snapped open and she instantly tried to move again, but as soon as she did another spiral of pain wound through her, causing her to whimper again.

"Hey, hey! Settle down dear," came an unfamiliar feminine voice, speaking in Drakin, "You're in no condition to move just yet."

Silver glanced upward as much as she could without moving her head to see a life dragon walk up next to her. It was a female, middle aged with wary looking eyes and drooping wings. Her green scales sparkled dully from some invisible light source, and there was a kind smile on her maw that made Silver instantly comfortable. The metal dragoness relaxed, doing as she was told and trying to avoid moving.

"There you go," said the life dragoness, pouring a stream of green energy into Silver, "Feeling better now?"

The injured dragon gave the barest hint of a nod, not trusting herself to move more then that. The pain that had spun through her had retreated for now, but it was still there and any sudden movement would bring it up again.

"Sorry I wasn't able to heal you fully," sighed the green dragon, "But you were quite badly injured, and I'm not a very powerful life dragon."

"It's fine," croaked Silver with a rusty voice, before letting out a powerful cough that caused another rack of pain to run through her. She groaned.

"Don't talk. You'll only injure yourself more," the other dragoness smiled kindly, before glancing back as another presence entered the room, "She's awake!"

"Really?" came the excited voice of a drake, also in speaking in Drakin.

There was the sound of pattering feet as the other dragon raced over to them. Silver tried to glance over in that direction but couldn't quite move her head in that direction. As the drake got closer a strange, yet familiar aura cascaded down upon her. It had exactly the same effect as Firefly's aura did, but it was cooler, almost like the aura of the moon, and far more prominent. There was no mistaking it. Equilibrium. If Silver could move at this moment, she would, her trust for the life dragon and her companion suddenly decreasing.

The metal dragoness's surprise continued to grow as the drake revealed himself. Her eyes were instantly drawn to the shining silver scales running down his back and across his wings, glittering like stars in the light. The drake had a long winding tail, covered in the same beautiful silver scales, with rows of spikes running across his back and to the tip. The strangest thing about him however was the under side of his wings and body. At first glance she would say they were purple, but on closer inspection she realised they were more black, with starlike patterns running down and through them. She couldn't help but stare.

"Well done Serel," exclaimed the strange looking drake, "I was worried that I wasn't quick enough."

Serel gave a small laugh, "Don't be so quick to congratulate me. She still is quite injured."

"But at least she's alive," sighed the drake before turning toward Silver.

The metal dragoness was watching the two of them suspiciously. There was nothing overly threatening about them, besides the immensely powerful aura radiating from the strange looking silver dragon, and by their conversation Silver could tell that they didn't exactly want to hurt her. As far as she could tell they had saved her life, though how she had no idea. All she remembered before she fell unconscious was the descending tail of Tetrad.