Chapter 10: The Arctic Cold

~Raize~

They're idiots! Idiots! Idiots! Idiots! IDIOTS! How dare they keep me here! I was getting so close. So very, very close. I could feel it. The power, seething just below the surface, but now.... I won't be able to reach it. Not now that I'm trapped in this damned place. Aaargh!

I was warned of this as well. I was warned they would try and stop me. That they would trap me. They say they are just worried about me. But I can see the truth. They are afraid. Afraid at what they know I'm capable off! This place won't hold me! I'm going to get out and complete my goal. I will get revenge for my father. I will destroy A.O.D.H and everything in it. Why can't they see that!

Hmmm. No more screaming in rage. I need to think. That's what I'm good at. Thinking. I may be trapped in here but that won't stop me. I just need to figure out a way to continue. There are stone walls and some sought of straw nest. Maybe I can make something? Wait. No. They have mind dragons. They'll figure it out. Unless I learn how to block them out, how to hide myself from them. There is this technique I've heard off. Something about clearing your thoughts. It'll be difficult... but worth it. But then they'll figure out what I'm trying to do and then stop me. Grrr!

Calm down Raize. You need to think. Deep breaths, close eyes. Huuuh. Okay. Now think. You know how to get out of here. You just need to do so.

* * *

It was getting colder. At first it was just a subtle chill in the air. A cool breeze. Then the temperature started to drop. Icebergs began to appear in the horizon and large grey clouds began to crowd the sky. The ocean below was writhing, sending up white spray and mountainous waves. The wind got stronger, creating dangerous updrafts. There were no birds anywhere in the vicinity, and the only living creatures were four dragons struggling with the growing weather.

'How far have we got to go?' Retrix's mental voice spoke through a mental link that Merene had created between the four of them, helping speech in the air.

They had left the farm in the morning, after saying a quick goodbye to Darren and his family. It had been a small stay, but Silver was glad that she had seen them again. Next time hopefully it would be a bit longer. After that they had flown the rest of the way across Australia and over the Indian Ocean, flying toward Antarctica.

'Well, the cold weather is a good sign," Merene replied.

'A good sign?' Silver still a little fearful of the cold, after her previous experiences she knew that it could be quite destructive.

'Yes, we are getting close to Antarctica. After that it will be a straight shot into Dominion range,' the mind dragonesses said in a cheerful tone.

'And that's where we will find this Syndicate place?' asked Retrix.

'Yes,' Zepos spoke this time.

They had filled him in on their mission that morning, and he had seemed a bit hesitant afterwards but still decided to go. He had been rather quiet for most of the trip, separating himself from the other three dragons and only asking the occasional question that he needed answered. He wasn't the liveliest of dragons.

'Land!' Silver said, looking forward into the horizon and seeing a white mass slowly growing.

She was looking forward to a rest. While the cold weather wasn't really a bother to the other three dragons, the rate in which her shell was decreasing in temperature was making her quite uncomfortable. She hoped it wouldn't get to bad, but the arctic was a cold place. They were lucky it was summer. In winter it would nearly be unliveable.