Chapter 17: An Icy Prison

Retrix grunted as he was shoved harshly into a small rectangular cell. He fell onto the rough ice floor, bruising a wing, and lay their for a moment, listening to the harsh laughter of the dragons responsible. There was a soft patter of feet and another grunt as Zepos was thrown into the cage next to his. He didn't bother looking up, knowing the lightning dragon would now be rushing over to his side to the cage. He was in the middle; Silver had been thrown into the cell next to his, still unconscious.

Slowly the void dragon pulled himself to his feet and glanced over to Zepos, who had rushed over to his side of the cage. The electric dragon didn't look at him, eyes only for the silver dragon. He growled angrily.

"Is she okay?" he asked.

"Yes," replied Retrix, glancing over at her body. She was breathing evenly now, and was more asleep then unconscious.

Zepos let out a small sigh of relief before sitting down and glancing around the prison they had found themselves. It was fully made of ice, and very different from the other places they had been trapped in. Spiked icicles hung from the roof, creating the bars for each cage. There were sixteen cages set in rows of eight with a corridor set in between them. There was very little light, most likely because it was still night outside, and what light there was had a blue tint to it, barely illuminating the dragons in the other cages.

"Newbies 'ey?" said a voice from the cage opposite to Retrix's.

The void dragon looked up, spotting an earth dragon in the cage. He had walked up to the edge and was now gazing at the three of them with a hungry glint in his eye. It made Retrix shiver slightly.

"What ar' you three in for?" he asked.

"What's it to you?" replied Retrix with a snort.

"Nothing. Just... curious," he titled his head, looking between the void dragon and Silver, "Never seen your two's species before, ey. Nothing like it before."

"I'm a void dragon," snorted Retrix, "She's metallic."

"That's interesting, ey. And why'd you be in here then?" asked the earth dragon.

"We were framed," said Zepos, taking a step forward, "They thought we were working for D.E.D."

Retrix chuckled slightly at that. The lightning dragon still hadn't figured it out. What he thought was a misunderstanding was something completely different.

"Ha! There ain't' no misunderstandings 'ere, 'ey. Must 'ave got you for something. Mind dragons can usually tell when you 'ave been do'in something wrong," snorted the earth dragon.

"Well, we didn't do anything wrong," growled Zepos.

"Why are you in here?" Retrix said, trying to take the conversation away from any conflict.

"Murder, 'ey" the dragon grinned with a flash of teeth, "Some numskull tried to beat me, so I crushed 'is skull in."

"Great," the purple dragon muttered before turning away and glancing once more at Silver.

He was worried for her, more then he cared to admit, and seeing her like this mad him angry. If he wanted to he could escape the prison within the next minute or so but something told him that Thylo was watching, and as soon as he ripped open a portal she would get his punishment. He shivered slightly, remembering the scream Silver had let out. It was unworldly, all this. It was so different to what he had seen of dragons so far.

"There's not many of you down here," Zepos said, continuing the conversation.

"'Cause not many dragons are stupid enough to go again the Syndicate, 'ey," said the earth dragon.