Chapter 31: Set In Motion

Jurien walked down the grey metallic hallway, the steal capped boots on his feet sending echoing rings that bounced back and forth, irritating his heightened sense of hearing. He winced slightly, the scar on his throat glistening as he gulped, ignoring the small amount of piecing pain that came as he repeated the action.

The hallway was empty, and eerie. It was large enough to allow a medium sized dragon to walk through comfortably, but not fly. However there was nothing else in the hallway at the moment. No dragons nor humans, and the only presence was the dimly lit white lights embedded in the ceiling. They would need to be replaced soon; at the rate they were deteriating.

However, none of it bothered Jurien. He was used to it, as he walked down these corridors nearly every day. What really bothered him was the reason he was walking down the metal encased tunnel in the first place. The Admiral had called him. It was the first time since he was demoted that they were going to talk together, and with his new rank of corporal he hoped it wasn't to take that away as well. The thought made him angry, and he longed to twist the gun from its hoister on his hip and pierce the other man's skull with a bullet. But that would be impossible.

He stopped at the end of the hallway, coming to a large door. Most of the time this room was used to test the mental capabilities of dragons, but now it was going to be a test on Jurien's patience for the man on the other side. Not hesitating for a moment the voiceless dragon hunter opened a smaller door to the right, hauling it open with a metallic screech.

Inside was a large room with a single light on a desk in the centre. Darkness surrounded the room, and there was nothing visible outside the light. Not the walls, nor the roof, or even the door Jurien had just walked through. He didn't even flinch at it. He was used to the darkness, it was the man that sat at the desk in the centre of the room that truly frightened him, if only for an unknown reason.

Testing his footsteps and walking with the greatest air of calmness and superiority he could, Jurien stepped into the light, his eyes narrowing slightly as he got used to the rather bright glare. The Admiral sat at the desk, watching him with a sinister gaze and a cold smile. His combed black hair sat neatly on his head, and his dark blue, almost black, uniform wound smartly across large shoulders and lean figure.

"Good day to you, Jurien," The Admiral spoke in his foreboding tone of voice.

The scarred man merely grunted in response, not able to reply.

"I assume you want to know why I brought you here?"

Jurien only nodded once, standing at ease in front of The Admiral's desk.

"We have decided it is time to move forward with plan three. I know it is a little earlier then expected... but the target has become rather erratic of late, and we do not want to loose any chance of capturing her and bringing her here."

A frown formed across the hunter's face.

"Everything else is already in place. Our forces have mobilised along the coast of China, spread out. Sky Mountain knows of our presence, but doesn't know what we plan to do. All we need is you to join them on the front line. You are a vital part of this plan, my friend."

Jurien couldn't help but let out an eager smile. They needed him again. Of course they would. He helped start this operation, and he would be the one to help finish it. But he wouldn't do this for free. They would need to give him something in return. The Admiral had already planned this out however, and knew the look in the other man's eyes all to well.

"If you succeed in your mission, we will give you your old position back. One of the heads of A.O.D.H. But only afterwards, is this understood."

A nod was the answer.