Chapter 7: An Enemy Arisen

Silver woke to a strange feeling of warmth running down the length of her body. It was slightly uncomfortable, her normally shell-covered scales sending strange tingles through her, and yet it was comforting at the same time. It took her a moment to realise that the culprit of the warmth was lying next to her, a wing draped over her unprotected back. The yellow drake was still fast asleep, seeming to be peacefully dreaming. It made her smile.

Being careful not to wake Zepos, Silver carefully slid out from under his wing, shivering as her scales brushed against his wing. With a slight side step and a jump she leapt out into the open air, again shivering as cool wind brushed past her. She hated this form. Rather quickly she let her normal metal shell to expand back out over tail, neck and wings and let loose a small sigh of relief, the comfortable weight settling across her shoulders.

It was still early morning, the sun only slightly rising in the horizon. A mist of dew draped over the beach and ocean, creating an almost heavenly look, light beams cutting through the fog. A cold chill ran through a northerly sea breeze, stirring the forest. It was the only sound, besides the quiet snoring from a certain yellow dragon.

"You know, you should try being in you unprotected state more often," said a voice from behind Silver, causing the dragoness to jump in surprise.

"Merene... I didn't know you were awake," Silver spoke, turning around to face the small mind dragon.

"I didn't sleep," she replied, sitting down on her haunches and yawning as if to prove her point.

"Why not?"

"Couldn't. There were a lot of hunters around last night that had seen the display set off by our purple friend, and a number of them came this way. I had to keep up a constant illusion to keep them away," she said.

"Oh... thanks," Silver didn't know what else to say.

Merene chuckled, "Think nothing of it. My job is to keep you out of harms way as much as I can, thus I do this."

The metallic dragon snorted, "A bodyguard ha? I thought you were a diplomat."

The mind dragoness grinned in reply, "Well I'm a little bit off both."

"Never would of guessed," Silver muttered under her breath, turning to look out over the ocean once again.

The two of them sat in silence for a moment, watching the dim morning waves lap softly against white sand. It was a peaceful place, and it was only now that they began to realise how peaceful. It was like a forest grove, but instead of a lake it was the ocean, stretching out in its vastness, past the glowing morning fog.

"We should get going. It's dangerous to stay here any longer," Merene spoke, breaking the silence.

"Okay," Silver sighed, turning and walked toward Zepos, who was still fast asleep against the sand.

She nudged him with her snout, causing him to stir and grumble slightly.

"Come on Zepos, time to wake up," she said, "We need to get going."

The lightning dragon opened one dreary eye, gazing up at her. With a small sigh he got to his feet and shook himself off, getting rid of any sand that was still covering his stomach. He looked at the two females, slightly annoyed at being woken up, but ready to leave.

After a small meal of fish that they managed to grab from the ocean the trio set off over the ocean. It would take a couple of hours to traverse, at least according to the map, until they came to the islands of Indonesia or Malaysia, which ever came first. It was around the same place Silver and Zepos had been captured by D.E.D and they all agreed to be much more careful this time.