Chapter 5: Into the Void

~Raize~

Noise. Have you ever heard it? It's like rain. Comforting, but once you're caught in it you suddenly wish to flee. It reminds me of pain, but I think I would prefer pain. It numbs the surroundings, makes it easier to think. To plan. To focus. Noise distracts you and sometimes I wish I could just phase it out all together, but that's impossible.

Humph. I'm starting to feel tired now. A slow wariness slowly seeping into my body and mind. I don't know why. It's like my body if finally deciding to try and stop me from doing this. I was warned of it. But I can't stop. Not now. Not when I've gotten so far.

I can feel it now, just writhing below the surface like a dormant flame, ready to explode forth in a fury. It calls to me, like a bird for its mate. It wants me. I want it. Oh, I wish I could speed up the process, but to do so I would have to take drastic measures, something I'm not willing to do. So I'll just keep going as I'm going. The same pattern. I'm thinking of changing it up soon, maybe add a flying element to it. That would help... I think. But when I try my wings won't move like they are supposed to.

My sister was worried for me, but she's gone now. An advantage to noise is it reveals things. And rumours have been said that the metal dragon has left Sky Mountain. I suspect that they are right, though I have no idea why. Maybe she has gone to exact revenge, maybe she is on a mission, or maybe she just ran away? She always wanted to run away.

Once upon a time I would have chased after her, flown into the world with her, but now... It's hard to explain. This wariness is making it hard to think. The world has a haze around it. Like a fog. Engulfing everything. Apparently it's normal, apparently it helps, but maybe I should really stop. Just for a moment.

But the power is oh so close. Just a little further. Just push a little more. Defeat myself once again. Maybe after that.... Maybe I can sleep.

* * *

Silver watched as the mass of sparkling blue slowly stretched into the horizon accompanied by puffs of white and the occasional rich green. To most dragons it would seem beautiful, amazing even, but the sight of the ocean only filled Silver with frustration. The ocean and her hadn't agreed in the past, and now she was once again forced to embrace its vastness.

The sun was low in the horizon, spreading a cascading array of oranges, purples and yellows across the rather flat surface of the water. Fish danced in an out of the rays, sending ripples through the ocean and creating blinking lights. Silver's shell was shining the colour of the ocean as well, the reflection painting a glare of the landscape. She wasn't too worried about it, as Merene had managed to create an illusion around her that made the shell shine a little less brilliantly to any who happened to glance toward their location.

She glanced over to her partners. They had been flying for three days now, three days of passing over hard and pure land. Maybe the occasional river or lake. But there would always be land. Now however water would be the majority in this new stretch of the journey.

'We should land for the night and head out in the morning,' thought Silver to the mind dragon.

Merene had a surprising amount of stamina for her species of dragon, and never once asked for their pace to slow or for a rest break, even if she looked like she needed it. Sure, she wasn't as fit as her two companions but that would quickly be fixed by the end of the journey. If anything the mind dragon was flying better then she had at the start, the awkwardness of it slowly disappearing as she learned from the other two dragons.

'Good... idea,' she replied, looking and sounding tired.

The three of them slowly circled down toward a flat stretch of beach where land kissed the endless ocean blue. The bright sand looked barely touched besides the swirling wind gusts and crab tracks, and as Silver landed she couldn't help but feel a little guilty at the size of her footprints on the unbroken shore.