Chapter 27: Flaming Rage

Silver's metallic roar echoed throughout The Nest, that clanging sound piecing the silent gloom and awakening the many dragons that had just fallen asleep. At first, they wondered what the commotion was about, but then they felt it to. The enormous of amount of power surging up through the ground and up to the very peak of the haven. Panic began to arise as they slowly began to exit their caves and taking to the air.

"What is that!?" one called out, looking down toward the ground.

The rocks down below were glowing a strange red; smoke steaming from them as they slowly began to soften. A flicker of flame made its way through a crack as whatever was underneath began to force itself upwards, working to break into freedom. The heat continued to grow within the mountain causing many of the dragons to flinch in shock.

Silver, after wakening Zepos, flew upwards through the crowd toward the cave at the very top of The Nest. She called out to the dragons, yelling at them to get out of the mountain. It took a moment for them to realise what she was saying, but her panicked voice persuaded them to do as she said. They began to dive, quickly, toward the ground below and through the tunnels that lead into The Centre.

The dragoness flew into largest highest cave as quickly as she could, Zepos on her tail. She stopped as the cave split into the three tunnels and for a moment wondered which one she should go through. She only really knew where one of them lead. The answer was made for her and a tired looking Retrix walked out from one of the caves.

"What's all the commotion?" he asked, surprised to see them.

"A dragon has reached equilibrium," Silver quickly explained, "Don't you feel it?"

The void dragon frowned, and his eyes widened, "This must be what O'hen warned you about."

"Yes," Silver shivered slightly and glanced back at Zepos, "We need to get everyone out of here."

"What is this?" a sudden voice came from another tunnel as Iraliene walked out with her son, Gravon, by her side.

The gravity dragon narrowed his eyes at Silver, "Yes... I would very much like an answer as well."

"My warning was correct," explained Silver, "A dragon has just reached equilibrium, and is now it is running ramped through Sky Mountain."

"What?" Iraliene growled, before glancing at the opening as if just realising what Silver was talking about. Her eyes widened and she took a step back, "Gravon, you go and sound the alarm, though Silver's done a pretty good job so far it seems. Lightning dragon... Zepos was it? I need you to find Frezron. He may be able to help us. Silver and Retrix, I want you two to get out of the mountain as quickly as possible. There is another exit at the top of The Nest. Take that one."

"But... what about the others?" Silver hesitated, glancing at Zepos.

"I'll be fine," the lightning drake said with a small smile, "You two get going. She's right about one thing, we can't afford to loose you. You're the last of your species."

With a deep, determined breath he turned and flew out of the tunnel before the dragoness could get out another word. She watched him go, slightly afraid for him. She knew she could trust him to get out of there alive and not try to take on the dragon of equilibrium, but it didn't make her any less worried.

"Come on," said Retrix, turning around as well and glancing back at Silver.

She nodded and together they exited the cave with Iraliene flying behind them. The life dragoness quickly took the lead, flying upwards toward the tunnel leading into the upper parts of the Sky Mountain. Below them the rocks were illuminating a red glow as they began to melt into magma and the flickers of flame were growing in number. The power radiating from the floor was increasing with every passing second, and the last few dragons flew through the tunnel at the bottom, exiting The Nest.