Chapter 8: Back to the Farm

"Australia!" Silver cried out, seeing the vast land stretching out over the horizon.

"Finally... land," Merene laughed, more to herself then the other two dragons.

They had been flying for most of the day and, not including the interlude with D.E.D, they hadn't had any rest stops, being too afraid of being found by humans. The islands that they had crossed, mostly, were densely populated places and it was hard for the mind dragon to keep up the constant illusion hiding their group. Landing would just make it all the more difficult. In a way Silver admired the mind dragon for her persistence. It was hard to keep constantly using a power for hours on end, no matter how small.

As the beach came into view Merene lead them to a small cove that was more or less hidden from humans. The three of them landed rather roughly, and the mind dragoness collapsed onto the beach with a sigh of relief. Silver chuckled slightly. She may be powerful, but physically her strength was minimal.

"I heard that," grunted Merene as she pulled herself to a wobbly stand, "I can read thoughts you know."

"Yeah, yeah," Silver rolled her eyes and let tired wings sag be her side, "Doesn't make it less true."

The mind dragon snorted, before lying down once again with a tired yawn. It was hard to realise that she had also been awake the entire night before, watching over them. She must have been exhausted. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep.

"We should let her rest," Zepos spoke, moving up beside her, "She deserves it."

Silver nodded and yawned as well, sitting down on her haunches, "We all do."

"Then get to sleep, I'll keep watch."

"No, you go to sleep. I'm tied, but I don't think I'll be able to get to sleep easily."

"Me either."

They were both silent for a moment, the only sound calming waves lapping up against the beach and the sun setting in the distance. Again it was beautiful, and Silver couldn't help but smile.

* * *

The next day the three dragons rose early and were in the air with the sunrise at their back. Hot air flooded in from the east and they found themselves warming up rather quickly in the Australian weather. It was nice for a change. Being reptiles, dragons were not fans of cold weather and only tolerated it if they had to, besides ice dragons that is. All three of the young dragons were rather relieved to finally reach a place that was normally warm.

Silver was especially excited. There was a chance she could visit the farm that had been her home for a year after escaping from A.O.D.H's attack on Dragon Valley. It was slim, and dangerous, but it would be great to see them again. Swivelling in the air the silver dragon sped ahead of the others, eager to reach it.

The Australian countryside stretched out in all directions, besides the western sea, it was a rather dull looking place. Desert seemed to take up much of the landscape and it was only broken up by the occasional small mountain ranges or the spots of dull green forests. Groups of kangaroos bounded through the desert, fleeing from the three unknown creatures above them. Silver caught one for the other two to try, and while Merene gladly dug into the meal Zepos politely refused.

As the great yellow sun slowly started to descend into the northwest Silver finally spotted what she had been looking for. The land had changed somewhat and now instead of dirt and dead grass, forests and plains spread out in front of them. It was still summer, so everything was rather dry, but it was definitely a welcome contrast to the usual dull countryside.