Quit - Matt

Matt's s/o asking him to quit smoking.

"Matt, we need to talk." you said, coming into the living room, standing in front of the television.

At your tone Matt perked up, setting down his controller. He looked up at you, nervous.

You cleared your throat and began speaking, "I think you should quit smoking."

Matt stopped you before you could get any further, "No." his voice was deadly serious, the nervous look he wore long gone.

"Just hear me out." you pleaded. You'd spent hours researching this and he was going to listen to you.

Matt nodded, allowing you to continue.
"Okay, so I think you should stop smoking because of all the horrible side affects. One being smoking increases your risk of cancer. An obvious, but perfect example. Two would be that it ruins your teeth. Sure you're teeth are fine now, but with years of smoking that won't be the case." your voice was firm as you spoke, staring Matt down to make sure he was paying attention.

You continued to list off reasons as to why he should quit before finally giving him a chance to speak.

"No." his voice was stern as he replied. "What I do with my body is my business ____."

"Yes, and I respect that, however that doesn't mean I can't worry about you. Right?" you took a step towards Matt, voice soft and sweet.

Matt didn't respond, only stared at you. He slowly stood up, walking over to the kitchen table.

He grabbed his pack of cigarettes and slowly opened the box, putting one in his mouth.

"Don't be an ass."

"Oh, I'm not." he mumbled around his cigarette, digging in his pocket for a lighter.

"At least smoke outside, you've always done that."

He shrugged, lighting up, blowing a puff of smoke in your direction. "Sorry love but I'm not going to stop smoking just because you ask me too."