Chapter Four

Chapter Four

It's after school and I can already feel the bruises forming as I walk towards the group of delinquents standing by the school gym. I can only hope that today's work doesn't involve anything physical.

When I get to the group I avoid Bryce and notice Veronica laughing with a couple other students. She had mentioned she was punished along with me but part of me doubted that she'd even show up. Well, I've been proved wrong.

"Gather round everyone. Today you will be helping out the sports' teams," one of the coaches, whose name I don't know, says as he stands with his feet apart. He looks like any high school coach would. Balding, a little overweight, and a necklace around his neck. "Now, there are eighteen of you and three sports practicing today. They only require five of you so that will leave three unfortunate students to do the tutoring work." I find it amusing how he calls the students who tutor to be unfortunate. If I'm lucky ill be amongst the three.

"Yo! Coach. I'm missing practice here. Is there a way I could 'volunteer' my services to the football team as I practice?" Bryce asks. Of course he's part of the team. I don't know which position or have any interest in finding out.

"Sorry Evans, against the rules. You can't go to practice or you'll be kicked off the team. You've gotta serve out your punishment." Bryce groans and looks like he wants to punch something. I take a few steps to my right, putting more distance between us. "Now, I will assign who goes where and you will do as I say. Got it?" Coach barks out and everyone nods their heads. They might be trouble makers but they aren't idiots.

I push my glasses up my nose and straighten my tie. One look at me should tell Coach that I belong as a tutor. At least there I would know I'm less likely to be pummeled.

Coach starts dividing people, sending them to basketball and our swim team. I know I'm being held off to the side because I'll help with tutoring. In the end there's eight of us unplaced, including Bryce, Veronica and I.

"Styles!" Coach suddenly turns to me like he hasn't seen me the entire time. I jump, feeling a little shocked at his sudden exclamation. "I'm sure you were hoping to be a tutor. Weren't you?"

"Well that's where I belong."

"Wrong! You will accompany these four," he sections off with his arm, "to the football field. Time to man up!" He chuckles and puts his heavy hand on my shoulder. "Now move on."

I pale as he walks away, laughing to himself about how much of a genius he is.

"Switch me places faggot," Bryce growls, shoving me against the wall violently. My head bangs into a couple lockers.

"Hey! Back off Bryce. Go beat up a kid in tutoring. There's plenty there for you," Veronica snaps, grabbing me away from the wall, my head still spinning in confusion. "Besides you heard Coach Hoover. Show up to football practice and you're out." Bryce glares at Veronica but huffs out, his arms straining as he clenches his fists.

"I'd advise you to stop hanging around that faggot, Veronica. You're killing your rep. Aiden was pissed when he found out you sat as his table."

"Aiden does not control me. I can do whatever I please." Veronica's hand is still on my arm. I can feel her body heat through my shirt's sleeve.

"Whatever. The only reason he keeps you around is because you put out," Bryce mutters, his eyes flashing. Veronica releases my arm and steps up to Bryce. My eyes widen as she slaps him, the sound echoing in the lockers hallways. "Bitch!" Bryce gasps, his hand on his face.

"Fuck off, Bryce," Veronica spits before grabbing my arm once again and towing me away. I'm too shocked to say anything.

She drags me outside and I can see the football team on the field. The purple and red of our high school's colors are caked in dirt on their uniforms. I almost choke in fright as Veronica drags me towards them.

"Wait! Stop, this is a bad idea!" I squeal, trying to get away from her. She's much stronger than I thought and easily pulls me across the grass. The other three troublemakers are already talking to the coach.

"Oh man up, Styles. This is just a practice. It's not like they can stop in the middle of it and beat your face in. Calm down and start picking up your feet." Veronica glares at me, the wind whipping her brown hair across her face.

I decide against fighting her because I know I'm going to have to get it over with sooner or later. She lets go of my elbow when I start walking for myself.

I wish she wouldn't take her hand away from me. Where did that thought come from?

We get to the coach as the other three people walk away, heading to do whatever chore the coach has set for them. "Hello Coach," Veronica beams him a smile that practically blinds. She's got perfect teeth.

"Back again, Veronica?" So she's been in trouble before. Interesting.

"You know it," she winks. I find myself wishing she was winking at me and not this coach.

What is happening to me?

"Who's this?" Coach notices me. He eyes me from head to toe, a look of disgust slowly forming.

"This is Harry Styles."

"Doesn't get in trouble much does he?" I straighten my tie, feeling a bit awkward.

"He doesn't know the meaning of trouble." Veronica says it playfully but her words annoy me. I've been in trouble before. I know the definition of trouble. "So what do you need from us today?"

"I already sent those other three to refill the water pitchers and get out the other stuff we'll need later. I thought there were only three of them and gave them the list of jobs."

"Sweeeeeeet! So are we free to go?" I look at Veronica with wide eyes. I don't think things work like that. How do we serve our punishment if we aren't given one?

Coach puts his hand under his chin and strokes his stubbly beard. "You know what? I've got the perfect job for you two." I have a bad feeling about this. Coach bends down and picks up two footballs. He hands them to us and I look down at the object in my hand. "You will both throw these for the football players to catch. It's a simple job." Coach nods, pleased with his work.

"Sounds good," Veronica tosses the football up in the air and catches it.

"Well I've got to get back to coaching before the principal comes out and calls me out for doing nothing. Give us fifteen minutes. Then we will do the warm up with you guys. I'm going to get these guys on the track." Veronica nods and Coach brings the whistle to his lips, blowing it rapidly and calling for his team to gather. He jogs off, leaving Veronica and I alone with a couple balls.

"This should be fun," Veronica gleams at me. I feel my stomach twist. This won't be fun at all. "Hey, do you even know how to throw a football?"

"No. I've never even held one in my hands before," I look down again at the weirdly shaped ball in my hands.

"Hasn't your old man taught you anything?"

I frown. "My old man, as you call him, hasn't been around for years." I don't know why I just told her that. She doesn't need to know about my life.

"Oh," Veronica's mouth opens in an o shape. "Well come on. You're going to learn how to throw a football."

I'm not feeling too excited about this but I nod anyways and agree to cooperate. Veronica stands by me and shows me how to hold the ball. The white lace makes it easier to hold. When I've got it in my right hand, I hold it out in front of me.

"No, look you can't palm the ball."

"Palm?"

Veronica shows me her own hand and the loose grip she has on the ball. "Your palm, move it," she points at my hand. I do it and she nods satisfied. "Good, now you see how your hand sort of forms an L here? That's good form."

I only half understand what she's explaining to me. Palm the ball? What?

"Okay, show me your hold," she says. I hold the ball out in front of us. "Woah, you've got some huge hands," Veronica says, staring at my hand. I feel self conscious and put my hand back down. "No, no it's a good thing. It'll make it easier to throw the ball. Now hold it back up," Veronica directs and I do it. I can't help but watch her pink lips as she talks.

"Good, now bring the ball up near your ear. Pivot. You see that bag right there?" I follow her finger and see the open bag of footballs about thirty feet away. I nod. She couldn't seriously be thinking about me throwing that far. "Aim for it and use your core to throw the ball."

Veronica makes a throwing motion and I watch her body, the way her arm muscle shows. It shocks me to see it there. When she's completely relaxed her arms don't show a sign of muscle. Her brown hair flies in the wind and I wonder how soft it would be to touch.

"Got it?" She turns and looks at me, a wide smile on her face. The only thing I got was a good look at her body.

I nod anyways. "Yeah. I think I got it."

"Cool, I'll throw first just to show you how." Veronica brings the football by her ear and then throws, her arm arching perfectly. I watch the ball fly in the air. I know enough to know about spirals, and her throw was a little wobbly. "Damn, a little off," she mutters as the ball hits a couple feet to the right of the bag. She grins at me. "Your turn."

I swallow and look at the ball in my hand. I haven't moved my fingers at all and now they were feeling a little stiff. Might as well give it a shot. I mirror what she had just done and then sling my arm, throwing the ball with as much strength as I can.

"Holy. Shit." Veronica and I both watch the football fly past the bag. "You've got an arm!" She squeals at me excitedly. I push my glasses up my nose and shrug.

"I guess."

Veronica grins at me and twirls in the wind. "That's hot, Styles," she winks at me before dancing away, her hips swaying as she skipped to the bag of balls.

My pants feel slightly tighter.