Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

At lunch I'm once again sitting at the table by the window. The jocks including the couple guys I met yesterday are all laughing, throwing food everywhere. I wish I could be a part of that. A real part of that. But I will never be.

I press my finger to my glasses' frames, pushing it up my nose again. I turn my attention back to my lunch and remove the ham slices from beneath the bread, turning my ham and cheese into a cheese sandwich.

I know it's stupid, but I wait for Veronica to show up again. That's how things go right? She practically needs to show up, it's the only right order of things. Because throughout the comics I've read through my years, I've become accustomed to a character showing up when needed. Sure, I didn't need Veronica but she was supposed to come around and save me from eating lunch alone again. It was the order of things.

But when I look outside again, I notice Veronica's brunette self with the jocks instead. A tall male with a beanie on his head has his arm slung around Veronica's waist. I feel so stupid for actually thinking she'd want to hang around me. Of course she doesn't. She's got friends and a boyfriend.

You're such an idiot, Harry.

A tray slams down in front of me and I jump, almost falling over. Veronica flashes into my mind but when I look I'm up face to face with a wide smiling, blonde haired guy. Snickers fill the room and I slouch into myself but the guy just keeps smiling.

"Hi! I'm Leeroy," he waves at me frantically. If Veronica heard him I'm sure she would be begging for him to speak slower. He's got this ridiculous pink headband over his head and part of me wants to completely melt into the table, becoming nothing more than a slushified Harry.

"Hi," I mutter, biting into my sandwich.

"Dude! Marcel's got another kid at his table today."

"Yeah, a gay kid. Maybe he's his boyfriend!"

Kill me. Everyone's whispers travel to me and hear it all.

"You need to leave," I say to Leeroy who has now opened his bag of grapes. He tosses one in his mouth and shakes his head, a wide grin on his face.

"You need to work on your smile! It lights up your face and if I'm correct, which I know I am, you have adorable little dimples in those cheeks of yours! Am I right? Or am I right?" Leeroy laughs and pops a grape into his mouth. "I'm right," he nods to himself obnoxiously. Things can't go worse than this. "Hi boys!" Leeroy cheers at the nearby table of skaters.

And things have gotten worse.

"Listen Leeroy, you can't sit here and act like that. Learn to keep your cool at least please," I say to him annoyed.

He sighs and tosses a grape at me. "You literally are no fun. Don't you think it's dumb to sit here and always worry about what people are saying?! Look at me! I'm happy as a clam and I'ma be spitting pearls in no time!" What? What is he even talking about? "Get up! Let's get up and just be spontaneous!" Leeroy jumps to his feet.

I duck my head down when everyone turns and watches us. Leeroy smiles like he doesn't care or he doesn't notice. How can someone be so uncaring? He glares at me before jogging, literally jogging, over to my side and yanking me off the bench. I try to protest when he grabs my hand but he hauls me out of the cafeteria ignoring me.

He tows me out the front of the school and drags me across the grass field. I give up trying to get away, his hold is much to tight. My eyes widen in fright as he pulls me towards the group of jocks by the trees. I look at the cafeteria, the place I normally sit at is visible.

"What's going on?!" I squeal before Leeroy shoves me forward, forcing me to stumble in the middle of the jocks. Their laughter immediately builds up.

"That will be twenty bucks," Leeroy says and I watch in shock as he pulls off the blonde hair and headband. "Should have seen his face! I'm shocked he didn't piss his pants. The dudes a complete wimp!"

This was all some prank to get me out here. I hate them. I hate them all. I look around at all the faces and my eyes land on Veronica's face. Her mouth twisted up into a smile as she watches me cower in fright. She brings her hands to her lips, a cigarette between her fingers.

"Marcel, ever go out here?" One of the guys claps his hand against my back and I lurch forward, his strength taking me by surprise.

"Oh leave him alone," Veronica says suddenly and steps up to me. She blows the smoke across my face and I hold my breath. "He's got nothing to offer us. Just leave him alone."

The beanie wearing guy from earlier steps beside Veronica and grabs her waist. He's got thick arms and I picture him as the quarterback. Beneath the beanie his hair is black, a dark contrast to his light blue eyes. To girls that might be attractive but it just scares me. He looks intimidating and not afraid to use his fists.

"Vee, he's a pussy. I don't know why you have such fascination with the faggot," he chuckles, kissing Veronica's cheek, his eyes never leaving mine. It's as if he knows what I'm thinking. How I think about Veronica in ways I shouldn't.

"Aiden don't call me Vee," Veronica snaps and drops the cigarette to the floor, crushing it beneath her foot. "Let's go Styles." She steps out of Aiden's hold and walks away, looking at me with her eyebrows raised. "Now," she demands.

"Better go with her Marcel. She's your only free pass to walk away from us without a new bruise. If we weren't on school grounds in broad daylight, I'd beat the shit out of you," Aiden says, his eyes flashing as he glares from me to Veronica and back. The other jocks all stand around me, their stances making me feel extremely small.

I squeal when one of them makes a punching motion at me. I run towards Veronica who has once again started walking. The group of people behind us start laughing at the previous situation.

"Sorry about that. I didn't know they would actually drag you out there to us. I thought they were joking," Veronica says once we reenter the school's lockers hallways. "Guess not, huh?"

Her apology confuses me. Why did she care what happened to me? It's really none of her business if I get beat up or not.

"Look, are you going to keep up with that silent shit or are you going to talk to me?!" She spins so suddenly that I trip on my own feet and fall backwards, landing on my butt. "God, you're seriously a dork." She sighs and bends over with her hand extended.

I pick myself up and pat away the dirt from my clothes. "I'm sorry," I mumble, straightening my tie.

Veronica breathes out, the smell of cigarettes fanning across my face. "Don't worry about it," she says, her voice annoyed and I worry that I've said something wrong.

I stretch out, standing straighter to loosen my back. She watches me, her brown eyes gliding down my body. I feel myself tense up.

"You know, you're taller than you look," she says quietly.

I swallow. "I hunch."

Veronica gives me a soft smile. "Don't," she says and then walks off.

Yup. We just had a Spider-Man moment. I've got to write this down somewhere.