Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I find myself gaining more and more confidence after using a curse word in front of Veronica and not being judged for it. Also the fact that I just told her she's hot without her scolding me has done a major lift-up in my confidence level.

Veronica leads me back to the kitchen and Vic and the guys greet us like we weren't just here a couple minutes ago. Veronica opens my beer and drinks the rest of hers'.

"Drink," she tells me sternly, motioning down to the can in my hand.

So many thoughts run through my head. I've never drank anything alcoholic. I've had plenty of cider, but that doesn't count. It seems like I'm always doing something new with Veronica. Mother would hate-

No. Mother isn't here.

"To realizing the good in change," I announce and hold up my can. Veronica gives me a weird look but holds up her new can as well.

"To change," Vic and the others say before tilting their heads back, the cans to their mouths.

I glance down at the can in my hand, the liquid dark beneath the small opening. With their heads back, and no eyes on me, I take in a deep breath. This can't be that bad.

I bring the can to my lips and tip it, pouring the liquid into my mouth.

I immediately spit it out. It's bitter. It's disgusting. It's so vile that it makes my whole mouth burn.

As soon as I spit it out I realize the crucial mistake I just made. Everyone stares at me, their cans in their hands, and their eyes on me.

Oh god, I've been figured out.

"NOOB! VERONICA YOU BROUGHT A NOOB!" Vic jumps to his feet and grabs me so suddenly that I can't help but squeal, dropping my can to the floor. The boys all cheer. I'm so confused. "FINALLY! SOME NOOB MEAT!" Vic screams, releasing me and shaking my shoulders.

If I don't look like I'm about to piss myself then I'm a very good actor. My hearts racing so hard that I feel like I might puke. I could have sworn they were going to kill me right then and there.

"WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK!" Vic and the other guys go barreling out of the room, screaming about having a "noob" in the house.

I clutch my chest, waiting to calm down. I turn to Veronica. "What just happened?" I ask.

"They've got this little ritual thing they do to those who haven't gotten drunk before. Don't worry, it's nothing too hard. I've seen it happen a couple times," Veronica tells me quickly.

"There's not that many 'noobs' are there?"

"Nope," she answers easily.

"Shit," I curse.

Veronica turns to me impressed, a smile across her face. "That's like three in one day," she says to me. "I should take you out more often."

I don't get a chance to comment on her choice of words because Vic returns with five guys by his sides. My eyes go to the large metal container in their hands. A nozzle comes out of the top and on the end is a handle.

"What's this kid's name?!" Vic asks wildly. His voice is so loud.

Veronica looks at me with wide eyes. She can't tell them my real name.

"Clark Parker," I throw out the first name that comes to me. "I'm Clark Parker," I say clearer and hold out my hand for him to shake. He grabs my hand then does this ridiculous grip before pounding his fist with mine.

"Well Clark, welcome to the Brotherhood," Vic announces and gestures to the guys around him. "You of course know Veronica already. And I'm Vic. These guys' names aren't all that important."

I try really hard not to feel awkward but everyone's just so intimidating. "Hey," I wave to them.

"Clark, get ready for the night of your life," Vic says to me genuinely and for the first time I feel like I fit in.

So I pump my fist in the air and scream, "HELL YEAH!"

Cheers are filling the room, people gathering in to see the noob in the house. For once I feel like positive attention, and I bathe in it. Vic and the boys give me beer after beer, yelling as I chug them down. After the second beer, the vile taste dies down and I feel the need to drink something stronger. The canned beer isn't doing anything for me like the beginning.

"OPEN UP, CLARK!" Vic yells and I see the nozzle come towards me, I open my mouth reflexively and I feel them spray the beer into my mouth. So much foam enters and that's what they say gets you drunk quicker. I gulp it down as they keep spraying.

I lose track of how much I drink. A clear liquid bottle gets trusted into my hands and I'm ordered to take a shot. I make the mistake of sniffing it and almost gag. It's like pure alcohol.

"SHOT! SHOT! SHOT!" They scream around me, hands beckoning me to keep going.

I swig back on the bottle, my lips pressed against it. The feeling burns all the way down but I fight it. Someone informs me that I'm drinking straight up vodka.

The bottle is ripped from my grasp, spilling liquid everywhere. My whole throat burns and I quickly grab another beer, drowning it down to cover the fire.

"Clark, buddy, how you feeling?!" A guy asks me. I recognize him as Vic.

Now I've always been told that when drunk you completely lose yourself. You can't think or walk and your body almost completely shuts down. I've read in so many books about this happening.

But in reality, I still have a keen sense as to where I am and who I am. I feel like I know what I'm doing. I haven't become brain dead.

So I just shrug and give Vic the widest grin. "I'm feeling great!" My words slur and I find that part true. Even though I feel fine, my body gives off a different vibe.

"HAVE ANOTHER SHOT THEN!" Another person screams, the bottle being placed back in my hand.

"Okay!" I chuckle and raise the bottle to my lips, hardly aware of what I'm doing.

It's grabbed away again and the crowd groans. "That's enough vodka. You know that shit fucks with you quickly," Veronica hands Vic the bottle, glaring him down. "I think we better get going Clark. It's your first time." She takes my elbow and leads me away although I try to protest against her.

"Take a beer for the road!" Vic yells and tosses me one. I open it immediately and it sprays out, I lick at the stream. Everyone laughs and I scream, throwing my hands in the air.

"Come on, you need some air," Veronica leads me away sternly, steering me away from the busy kitchen. She pulls me out a side door and the breeze hits me.

I hadn't even realized I begun to sweat. "Is it hot? Or is it just me?" I ask her.

"Just you. That's what the alcohol does to you," Veronica mutters. I roll my eyes at her tone.

"Grumpyyyyy!" I push her lightly. I'm feeling a bit woozy. Everything keep moving when I know I'm not.

"I didn't think you'd actually drink that much. God, what are you thinking?! You could get alcohol poisoning!"

"Someone needs to take a chill pill! Want to know what I'm thinking?! I'm thinking that finally people actually enjoy my company! That finally, I'm not being beat up by the people around me!" I exclaim, knowing I'm much too loud but not giving one damn. "This feels amazing!"

Veronica grabs me suddenly and shoves me against the wall. Her eyes meet mine as she pulls my head down. I know I'm already feeling hot from the liquor but I'm feeling even more heat... in places other than my face.

"You think they're actually enjoying you?! They're enjoying Clark Parker. Not Harry fucking Styles. Oh and Clark Parker?! What kind of ridiculous name is that?!" She pushes herself away from me, leaving me to lean against the wall alone.

"It was a combination of Clark Kent and Peter Parker."

"I knew that," she snaps at me. "I'm not an idiot. But you're lucky they are." She points at the inside of the house. Sounds of them screaming and music blaring come from within. "Now let's go. We're going home," Veronica walks away.

"What? Leaving?! But we just got here!" I exclaim. We can't just leave. I was starting to have real friends.

Real friends.

Veronica turns on her heel and comes back to me, grabbing the keys from inside my pocket. I fidget when her hands come close to me. She has to dig because the pockets are so tight.

I feel awkward but the alcohol just gives me different thoughts.

She fishes my keys out then dangles them in front of me. "Let's go. It's already three in the morning."

"THREE?!" It can't possibly be three already.

"Well, it is. That's what drinking does to you, Harry. Second lesson of life, alcohol fucks you like everything else."

And then she walks away again. This time I follow obediently.

Or at least I try. I fall flat on my face half way out the side gate.

*A/N*

Please vote (: