Chapter Forty

Just saying, I wrote this at 3 AM lol

Chapter Forty

I try to read the signs as Veronica drives around but my lack of glasses makes everything difficult. I try not to dwell too much on the fact that I've got two halves of a whole pair of glasses just sitting in one of my car's cup holders. Talk about depressing.

Thirty minutes pass and Veronica finally drives into a parking lot. She practically tows me out of my car and into the building. Automatically I recognize it as an art museum. Her fingers lace with mine and she pulls me along with her, laughing giddily.

"Isn't this wonderful?" Veronica asks me in awe, her brown eyes lighting up. She doesn't hesitate in pulling me to a piece of art. "Look at the brushstrokes in this painting. The way you see them, but they aren't too distracting. They make you want to wave your hand slowly, brushing in the exact same technique. Well? Wonderful, right?" She gazes at the artwork in front of us but I can only stare at her and the way she looks at the art. It's the way I wish she'd look at me every single moment of the day.

"Wonderful," I repeat.

Veronica turns towards me and grins. "You've got to actually look at the artwork, Harry," she scolds me playfully.

"Sorry, sorry. You're just so distracting."

She rolls her eyes and starts walking again. I glance down at our hands still intwined. I can't believe I'm holding her hand in a public place. Sure, it's a practically empty public place, but it's not her home or the inside of my car. It's like this is one small step closer to actually being able to call her mine.

I rub my thumb against the top of her hand and she glances down at us before smiling up at me. She doesn't say anything, but she gives my hand a gentle squeeze. It makes my entire being light up.

Veronica and I walk around the entire museum. She muses on and on about the different techniques and styles artists have used. I listen and find myself appreciating art more and more, my eyes actually focusing on the artwork and not on Veronica.

My eyes widen when we get to the next hung piece of art. "This is my favorite one," Veronica says and I think she must be joking.

"It's uh...a blank piece of paper," I tilt my head to look at it. Maybe if I just look from a different angle, I'll see it. I squint, staring harder at it. "Nothing. I see absolutely nothing," I shake my head.

Veronica laughs and steps closer, taking me with her. "That's because there's nothing on it."

I frown. "Well that's useless."

"Harry, it's a metaphor representing beauty that can not be seen with the eyes. It's a blank paper, sure, but that's not why it's in an art museum. It's how it makes the audience feel when they see it."

I look doubtfully at Veronica. "But it's a blank sheet of paper," I state.

Veronica sighs. "Yeah, it's a blank paper, but stop looking at the obvious. This is art in its true form. You see, real art challenges the audience to think, to really wonder about what the artist thought as they created it. Art isn't about what you see, but what you know exists withinside of it."

I nod, trying really hard to think about the piece of paper like Veronica is thinking about it. But it's hard. To me it's just a simple blank sheet of paper.

"I know you don't get it, but it reminds me of you," Veronica says quietly, her fingers slowly tracing patterns against my hand.

"Plain and boring?" I ask jokingly.

"No, completely misunderstood."

I feel my entire heart fall into the pit of my stomach. How does she do that? Make me feel all giddy somehow like my entire stomach wants to spill out of my mouth. It's just too hard to keep up with Veronica's way of speaking about things. One minute you think you understand her, and the next you're completely confused.

I don't have answers, but I don't mind. That's the great thing about life, it's a mystery.

Veronica and I continue through the artwork, laughing and joking constantly. I feel like there's nothing and no one between us; Veronica and I are the only two people who exist. Just the way it should be.

"I'm going to have my art hung in galleries one day," Veronica tells me as we leave the art museum, our hands swing between us as we walk back to my car. "Dozens upon dozens of my artwork just hung up amongst the greats! Doesn't that sound brilliant?" She practically jumps with joy at her planned out future.

"Absolutely brilliant," I smile at her. The wind picks up and her hair starts fluttering in the air, the long brown strands framing her face beautifully.

Something in me makes me brave and I stop walking, tugging her hand backwards and pulling her into me swiftly. She lets out a little gasp of shock as her left hand lands on my chest, her right still held securely in mine. She gazes up at me and bats those dark eyelashes of hers.

"You know, I quite like this view," she giggles, fisting a bit of my shirt in her hand. "I almost forgot who you were for a second."

I frown a bit at this. "Forget? What do you mean?"

"I'm not used to forceful, brave Harry." Veronica reaches up and pulls my beanie off, my curls falling over my face, brushing against hers. In the curtain of my hair, I see only her. "I'm used to being the one in control," she whispers and I feel her hand twist into my hair.

I grin down at her, my hand snaking around her waist and pulling her closer to me. "And what if you lost that control?" Our faces are so close, our eyes not leaving the other's. I block out the fact that we're in a parking lot.

"I have no intention of losing that control," she says and as if to prove her point, tugs my head down to her lips, kissing me roughly. Right there in the middle of a parking lot.

The feeling is such a thrill that I completely lose myself in the moment, not caring that someone could see us. If anything, I wish someone would see Veronica and I lost in this heated moment with each other. A part of me desperately waits for that day I hold her in the middle of school.

Veronica slowly withdraws from me, our lips disconnecting with a final little pop. My lips already ache for more and as she brushes her fingers down my cheek, I steal another. This time she giggles against my mouth and the kiss is more playful, less needy.

But the truth is that I need her with every fiber of my being.

"I quite like this Harry," she whispers, her brown eyes the only thing I see.

"The kissing?" I muse.

"No, you." Her words make my heart race.

**A/N**

I'm putting the authors note at the end so you may actually read it LOL

FIRST OF ALL, this fanfic is at #78 in humor and #109 in Fanfiction. That's a huge accomplishment for me so thank you everyone <3

Second, today is my one year anniversary on wattpad ! Yay me ^.^

Third, I'm going to a jonas brothers exclusive beach bash thing that starts at 10 this morning so (obviously) I have to go early! Therefore, I'm posting this update early AND there may be another one after I come home. (Around probably 3 [Pacific Time])

Anyways, thank you seriously for everything <3 I have other fanfictions by the way.

Loving the ship names Varry and Harronica XD and the songs you guys suggest <3

Ah, you make the best day of my life even better. Stay awesome :3

-Kat