Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

I wake up in the nurse's office. I'm lying down on a stiff bed, the annoying white, crinkled paper below me. A bag of ice is on my left eye, a dull pain is coursing through my brain.

Well, I fell without landing a punch. I couldn't even last a minute against Vic. I'm so pathetic. I just wanted one punch, one good solid hit against my enemy. But instead I got hit.

Again.

I sit up and take the bag away from my eye. It's hard to open my left eye completely and feels numb to the touch. Great, Mother is just going to love my new bruise.

"I would keep that on your face if I was you."

I turn to see Veronica sitting on another bed in the nurse's office, her legs crossed Indian style beneath her. Her brown hair has been pulled up except for a couple loose parts that frame her face.

"What are you doing here?" I realize it's rude as soon as it leaves my mouth, but I can't help but ask. Why did she always show up after something bad happened to me? Couldn't she, I dunno, show up beforehand?!

"If you'd rather still be lying face down in a school hallway, then just say the word and I'll find someone to put you there," she snaps, her brown eyes narrowing at me. "Why can't you just say thank you and move on?" Veronica jumps to her feet and starts to leave.

"Wait," I call out and she stops walking, her hand on the doorframe. "I'm sorry, thank you."

She only slightly turns her head in my direction. I can't help but study the back of her black t-shirt and cut off jean shorts. Her shoulders bow into herself. "Don't mention it," she mutters before swiftly leaving the room.

I don't get it. Why is she always leaving?

I lay back down and put the ice bag back onto my eye. The giant clock on the wall indicates there is still about an hour left of school and I'd much rather spend it in the comfort of the nurse's room rather than amongst the cruelty of students.

So I relax, shut my eyes, and go to sleep.

~~~~

It feels like fifteen minutes have passed as I'm shaken awake by the nurse. She tells me that it's after school already and that I'm free to leave. However, I know that I must report to the Troublemaker group I've been assigned to. It feels like weeks since I've been with them.

I groan and make my way towards the gym entrance, the place Coach insists we meet up at. Today I'm assigned to work volleyball inside of the gym along with three other students. Veronica is of course one of them. This will be just great.

I feel exhausted, mentally and physically worn out as I trudge along with the others behind Coach. He points at the cart of balls that need to be inflated fully and assigns a blonde girl to do it, saying that she should have experience with balls. The way she turns a bright red, I assume she's been punished for something in relation to Coach's comment. I just can't figure out what.

"Okay, Veronica, Styles and Tim," Coach turns, his hands on his hips, towards us. He scrutinizes each and every one of us. His gaze goes to my black eye. "Damn Styles, you're always getting into something, aren't you?" I just shrug. It's not my choice to get beat up.

Veronica snickers and something pangs inside of me. She crosses her arms over her black t-shirt.

"I need one of you to accompany me and the other two will referee practice games."

"Tim will accompany you," Veronica says immediately, giving the short buzz-cut guy a hard challenging glare. I notice with satisfaction that he is just as scared as her as I am of others. He nods almost too harshly.

"Good, Tim come with me. Veronica explain to Styles your job and get going," Coach addresses then takes Tim by the back of his neck, pulling him along. I suddenly feel extremely grateful that I'm not that guy.

Veronica leads me towards a volleyball court where girls are spread out and stretching. The girls are all dressed in matching white uniform tops and black spandex shorts. My eyes widen as a couple of them bend down to touch their toes.

Volleyball girls are hot.

"Keep the drool in your mouth, Styles," Veronica lectured, tapping her hand beneath the bottom of my mouth closing it. "It's very rude to stare," she mocks me.

"I wasn't staring," I insist and focus on her instead. "So, can I ask you a question?"

Veronica sighs and puts her hands in her shorts' pockets. "Let me guess, you want to know how I found you in the hallway and why I took you to the nurse."

"No, actually that's not what I was going to ask."

Veronica looks surprised. "Alright then, go ahead and ask."

"How long have you been serving punishment? Because it seems to me like every Coach already knows you. They always tell you to show me how to do it. So I'm assuming, you've been in trouble for the longest time," I tell her. I know I'm babbling but I just enjoy talking to her.

Veronica laughs, her brown eyes meeting mine amused. "That's what you want to know?!" She tosses her head back and laughs louder. I feel like a fool. "Let's just say that I've done some pretty bad shit," she says to me.

I don't understand how she can talk about being in trouble so easily. I press my glasses up higher. "Really bad?" I edge further. What kind of things has she done?

Veronica just rolls her eyes and steps closer to me. My breathing hitches at the short distance between us. She takes her pink lip between her teeth, her hand suddenly pressing against my chest. My bowtie feels too tight. She trails her hand down slowly and my body freezes. I know we're in the middle of a gym, but she blocks out everything.

I groan when her hand brushes my waist. She releases her lip at the sound and gazes up at me, her brown eyes wide. Looking down at her I realize she's got a light blue color around her brown eyes. She wears contacts. I wonder what she'd look like in glasses.

In only glasses.

Dirty mind! Dirty mind! Dirty mind! I scream inside of me, trying desperately to clear my thoughts of her naked.

Oh god. Naked.

I physically start shaking as her hand presses against the front of my slacks, my mouth falls open.

I want her.

God, I fucking want her.

Veronica makes herself taller, her gaze meeting mine. She smirks. "More bad than this," she whispers, sending chills down my spine. Her hand presses against me again. "Someone's excited," she notes.

"I-," I stutter. I don't know what to say. My thoughts are too clouded with teenage boy hormones.

A whistle blows around us and Veronica's hand drops from holding me. Her gaze leaves my eyes and trails down my body. She clucks her tongue. "Impressive," she winks at me.

I put my hands in front of my crotch, trying to hide myself. These slacks make everything worse. If I were wearing the tight jeans, I'm sure no one would be able to notice a thing. I flush, my cheeks heating up.

"Back to work," she says and then skips off, leaving me staring after her wide-mouthed and completely frazzled.

And so turned on.

**A/N**

Please fan if you're enjoying this (:

Thanks!