Chapter Fifty-Two

**Sorry about the lack of update yesterday. I couldn't think through my headache. I also changed Humor to Teen Fiction because well, there's not
Much humor..**

Chapter Fifty-Two

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I groan as she tugs me forward. I grab the door handle of my car as she pulls me again.

"Harry, stop acting like a child. She's your mother and you're the one who insisted in coming here," Veronica reminds me and gives my hand another tug. "Come on! Stop acting so damn difficult!" She groans and tugs at me hard enough that I'm yanked away from the car.

"Damn you and your man strength," I mutter as she pulls me towards my front door. "Where's the brakes on this thing." I try to stop her from walking but it doesn't work. Of course.

I really don't want to go into my house. It's been how long since I've been here? Days? God, Mother will not be happy.

"Harry, I promise you that I will not let anything bad happen to you. I'll take the entire blame and if she even seems to give off the vibe at striking you, I will intervene. She loves me. Everybody loves me. I have a charm," she winks at me and I reluctantly let her tow me to my front door.

I can't argue any further as she opens my front door, pulling me in.

"Mrs. Styles?" Veronica calls out.

"Oh god," I whisper under my breath and wait for Mother to appear. I can feel my body trembling as I imagine her coming towards us with a giant butcher knife. I wonder who she'll try to kill first? Me or Veronica? Maybe she'll just make me watch her die. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

"Harry?" Mother's voice rings out around us, concern in her voice.

I swallow. "Oh god," I whisper again and Veronica squeezes my hand. Oh god.

Mother steps out from the kitchen and I'm instantly grateful for her empty hands. I can feel my own hand sweat within Veronica's hold. Mother's eyes take in the situation and I swear I see them flash with something more than anger.

"Harry, what happened to your face?" Mother asks me, stepping closer to us. I can feel the lecture coming, the angry yelling. I swallow down my fear as she stands no more than five feet away from me.

"I...uh..." Shit, what do I say? "Uh...I-"

"He was defending me against some jerks at school. He heard them say a couple rude remarks and decided to stand up for me. I told him he was crazy, but you know guys and their defensive side. They want to stand up for those they care about." Mother and I both stare at Veronica with mirrored expressions of shock. How the hell does she do that? Just pull something completely random out as if it were legitimately true.

"Is this true, Harry?" Mother asks me, her eyebrows raised.

Veronica squeezes my hand and I nod. "Yeah, it's true."

Mother nods this time, looking at us both. "Fine," Mother mutters and walks away, leaving Veronica and I standing in the middle of my hallway completely confused.

I let out a breath that feels like a giant weight of air and turn towards Veronica. What just happened?

Veronica clucks her tongue at me and taps her hand against the bottom of my jaw. "Close your mouth, Harry. It's rude to gape at people."

"She didn't yell."

"Nope."

"She didn't hit me."

"Nope."

"She didn't kill you."

"What? Why would she do that?" Veronica looks at me strangely but I still feel shock traveling up and down my body.

"It was a case scenario going through my head," I say awkwardly and Veronica giggles, stepping closer to me. I hug her and kiss the top of her head. "I could have sworn things were going to be a lot worse."

"Well, then be thankful that I'm here with you."

"I am thankful," I say and rub my hand down her back. "But that thankfulness goes a lot deeper than just being here with me today."

"Really? For what?" Veronica asks, tipping her head back I look up at me.

"For-"

"Harry! Get ready for dinner and say goodbye to Veronica. I expect you washed up in five minutes!" Mother calls, her normal attitude kicking in and we both sigh.

"Looks like this is goodbye," I mutter.

Veronica gives me a slow smile. "No it's not. I'll wait for you in your room."

"What? Why?" My eyes widen at Veronica as she slips from my hold and starts walking up the stairs. She giggles quietly and starts running up them and I quickly follow. Why does she want to stay?

"I told you, I don't like to be alone," Veronica says to me simply.

"Why is it that you don't like to be alone?" I ask at the top of the stairs. I stand on a step below her and she puts her hands on my shoulders.

"Let's just say that bad things happen when I'm alone. I just don't like to be alone... ever. I hate it. That's all you need to know," Veronica answers and I sense there's something missing but she doesn't want to talk about it.

I nod and ignore the need to ask her for a more detailed answer. Instead I lead her to my bedroom and open the door, letting her in. Veronica looks around the room but I go to my closet and take out decent clothes. Mother expects me dinner-ready in five minutes.

I quickly change into slacks and a pullover sweater. The fabric feels weird on my skin as I haven't worn anything other than t-shirts and a leather jackets in days. I instantly hate the way the slacks just hang off my body. I glare at reflection and Veronica suddenly steps beside me, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"There's my Harry," she whispers and stares at me through the mirror.

I don't know how to respond to her. This is the Harry that everyone saw me as before everything happened. This is the Harry that people refer to as Marcel.

This is not the Harry Veronica fell for. Is it?

"Harry!" Mother calls from downstairs. I sigh. I don't have any interest in going down there and facing an entire dinner with her.

"Coming!" I call back and turn towards Veronica. "I'll be right back."

"Take you time," she smiles at me and then gives me a small kiss. I want to stay here with her. Always.

But I can't. So I leave the room as Veronica lays on my bed and I head downstairs, ready to eat dinner with Mother.

~~~~

An hour filled with awkward conversation, non-eaten food, and a whole lot of silence later, I make my way back upstairs after bidding goodnight to Mother. Dinner wasn't too painful, but she did have a couple complaints about my bruised face, absence from the house, and lack of contact between her an I. I just acted like I was interested and gave her simple replies, all the while thinking about what Veronica was doing upstairs.

"Harry?" Mother calls out suddenly as I'm half way up the stairs. I turn and look down at her, her hands wringing in front of her. "I want you to know that I love you. I know I've been a tough mother to live with and I've got high expectations, but I promise it's because I want what's best for you. I don't mean to hold you down or back from anything."

"I know Mother," I say.

She steps up a couple stairs towards me. "Harry, I can't help but feel like you really like this girl. Do you?"

I feel my heart start thumping in my chest. "I...um."

"I've been in your place before...with your father. God he was such a romantic. He swept me off my feet that first day we met, told me things I would never believe from anyone else. He was special and I'm sorry you never really had a father," Mother says and my eyes widen. What's going on? Who's this woman in front of me, telling me things that she has never said in the eighteen years of my life?

"But that doesn't mean you grew up wrong, Harry. I made sure to try my damned hardest at raising you right. I wanted you to experience a life I never had. See, my family growing up was completely dysfunctional. My parents both drank to get their minds off of the stakes at hand, alcohol was their escape."

"Why are you telling me this? Do you think I'm into drugs and alcohol?" I ask, confusion coloring me as I stand in front of Mother.

Mother sighs and sits down, patting the seat beside her. I know there's no way around this so I oblige and sit beside her on the staircase.

"I'm telling you this because you don't come home. And when you do come home, you're covered in bruises and with a random girl."

"You've met Veronica," I remind her.

"I know and she's lovely, but are you sure you know what you're doing? Love makes people do crazy things."

"I know what I'm doing, Mother."

"So you do then."

"I just told you I do," I say exasperated.

"You love her."

"I -what?!" I gasp, just now realizing what she is saying to me.

Mother turns towards me, her eyes searching mine. "Do you love Veronica?" Mother asks slowly, so slowly.

I don't know how to respond. This is not a conversation I thought I would ever have, let alone a conversation with my mother. I feel cramped in this small stairway, my body touching Mother's, her closeness almost like a constant reminder that I'm being held down by her and this house.

But am I being held down? A couple weeks ago I would have answered a complete and confident yes, but now? Now that I come home and not get too beat up about it? Now that Mother somehow understands what I'm going through? Now that she actually opens up to me? Am I really being held down?

The answer is no.

"It's a simple question," Mother whispers to me, her eyes searching mine. "Do you love Veronica?"

I feel a bead of sweat go down my forehead. I shut my eyes and lean my head against the wall.

"I do."

**A/N**

There's only like six chapters left of Mocked. I have a sequel though so don't worry, it goes on XD

Actually I don't know how many chapters there are exactly, but just know there's an end to Mocked coming somewhere soon.

Again, there is a sequel.

Harronica! I hope you enjoy this chapter. (:

Comment? Vote?

Omfg this app update though.