Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

I end up in my car somehow and Veronica reaches across my lap to get the seatbelt. I look down at her, her face so close to my crotch, that I get naughty thoughts. My drunk self reaches his hands out and wraps his hands around her head, pushing her down against the place he wants her most.

But rational me stays still and shuts my eyes so that I don't look at the brunette girl across my lap.

The seatbelt goes on with a click and then my door closes. I let myself relax again. Then I reach my hands to grab the steering wheel but instead hit the dashboard.

"WHERE'S MY STEERING WHEEL?!" I scream when Veronica gets in.

"Oh god you're totally wasted," she mutters. I find this funny somehow.

Everything looks blurry so I reach up and push my glasses up my nose. I yelp when my finger jabs my eye instead. "I LOST MY GLASSES. VERONICA! WHERE'D THEY GO!" I exclaim and try to rip the seatbelt off of me but end up even more tangled. I whimper and hang my head. "I'm trapped."

Veronica makes a noise under her breath and tosses something onto my lap. I look down at the purse. "Look for them, they're in there," she says. I feel my car lurch forward and I panic. No one drives my car.

"Wait! Stop!" I clutch my throat, the seatbelt choking me.

"What?! Harry, calm down!" Veronica grabs my shirt and tugs me forward. "Here's your glasses!" She sticks her hand in and out of her purse, taking my glasses out simply. I sigh in relief and put them on. "Better?!"

"Better," I nod. At least with clear sight I know if we're about to crash.

Veronica shakes her head, her face set to an emotion I can't read, and continues driving. I talk about Batman and ask her who's her favorite superhero. I don't believe her when she says she doesn't have one.

A couple minutes later I lean my head against my window and stare at the passing houses. My eyes widen as we enter through a gated off section guarded just to get in.

"I don't live here," I state.

"I know you don't, but I do," Veronica mutters.

She drives up the giant sloping driveway and a man greets her. She makes me get out of the car and the man gets behind the wheel, quickly driving off. I watch my car with a dropped jaw. My car...it's gone.

"Oh calm down, you'll get it back tomorrow. Or well, later today." Veronica grabs my arm and pulls me towards the front door. It's too dark to really see anything, but I know it's a fancy place.

"Mother will be pissed off at me if I don't get home."

Veronica turns and places her hands on her hips. "She'll be pissed at your either way you look at it. Might as well go home with a clear mind rather than the current drunk one you're in." She points to my head and I know she's right.

"Okay, okay. Sure." I'm suddenly feeling very exhausted and the sound of a bed is very appealing right now.

Veronica leads me up a staircase that winds around the entire front room. I'm sure in other times and circumstances, I'd find it interesting, but right now each step feels like hell.

"How much further? I'm tired," I grumble, trudging up more and more stairs.

Veronica turns off and brings me to a room off to the side. I only see the bed in the center of the room. Every other aspect of the place is blurred out. It's unimportant. I just want the bed.

"Well? Go ahead and lay down." I don't need to be told twice. I go to the giant bed, kick of my shoes, and lay with my face pressing against a soft pillow. I let out a groan as my body settles.

I look up and over at Veronica who's watching me. "Veronica?"

"Hmm?" She leans against the doorframe, her hair cascading down beautifully.

"Thank you," I say instead of one of the many other responses I have going through my head. "Thank you for just being a friend," I whisper, lowering my head back down.

I hear her footsteps as she comes towards me. The bed sags down as she sits. I feel a hand brush through my hair, the movement soft and slow. I turn my face over and look up at her.

The dim light blurs her features. The alcohol makes everything feel distant. She keeps brushing her hand through my hair, her brown eyes on mine.

I grab her hand, something inside of me taking over. She gasps when I grip her wrist, pulling her over onto the bed.

"What are you doing?" She asks quietly, her legs brushing mine.

"Don't think," I whisper back. I know it's the alcohol in my system driving me to do insane things, but I don't fight it. My hand slides down Veronica's back and she let's out a small moan. That little sound makes my body react immediately.

I grab her waist and hold her against me, feeling the way I harden beneath her. I brush her body against mine, desperately trying to push her closer to me. This is as close as I've ever been to another person.

"Harry," Veronica whispers, sending chills down my spine. "Harry."

"God, I want you," I growl at such an intensity that it shocks me. Who is this Harry?

I roll over, pushing her below me, and stay between her legs. I grab her hands, brushing her palms, and bring them above her head. I feel empowered.

I'm breathing heavily. I can't believe I'm so confident. I've never felt this way. I never wanted anything more than I want Veronica.

I shut my eyes and lean towards her. I just want to kiss her finally and feel the press of her lips against mine. Everything feels right.

"Harry," she whispers again right before our lips meet.

"Veronica," I say back. I feel our lips brush and my body aches for her again.

"I'm not kissing you tonight," she says.

"Oh," is all I can come up with to say.

Rejection curls into me and I throw myself off of her, laying on the bed away from her. I'm so stupid. How could I possibly think she wanted me?! How could I let myself lose track of reality?!

Veronica gets off the bed and I throw the blankets over me, ashamed to show her the tears that have suddenly started up.

I expect her to provide a reason as to why she didn't want to kiss me. But instead she disappears, slipping out of the room quickly and closing the door behind her.

I stare up at the ceiling above me. The alcohol makes the whole room spin. I let myself cry as I fall asleep.

I should have known. Fairytales don't actually exist.