Chapter Five

Chapter Five

After a couple minutes of just throwing the football to each other, Veronica and I make our way towards Coach who's waving his arms wildly at us. He blows his whistle and the team huddles around him. I quiver in my shoes as they gather around us in their padding and helmets. God, did football players have to be so huge?!

"Marcel?! Dude since when are you in trouble?!" A voice comes out from beneath one of the helmets. I don't know who he is and I don't have interest in finding out. I need to get my hands on my own helmet so that they can't hit me in the face again. I've already got a giant bruise from where Bryce hit me. Mother will not be happy.

An elbow suddenly knocks into my side and I squeal, jumping away from my attacker. The team bursts out laughing and chants harsh things at me. Veronica looks at me apologetically.

"Styles, pay attention would you?" Coach bellows at me, grabbing a football and handing it to me. "Now team, Veronica and Styles-"

"-Marcel!"

"Knock it off," Coach points at a player. "They will be tossing the football and I expect you to catch and block in pairs. Get it?"

"Yes coach!" They all chant at the same time. I flinch at their synchronization.

"Get moving!" Coach blows his whistle and I jump, dropping the football on the floor. Due to the odd shape of it, I end up chasing it for a good thirty seconds. Everyone laughs.

"Hey, just loosen up," Veronica is suddenly by my side, her hand on my arm again. I look at it then look at her. She's so warm.

I swallow and nod. "Absolutely."

The team branches off, running into lines across the field. Veronica and I are both given baskets of footballs. We have to throw them and the players will try to catch/block and then throw the ball to the player to our right. It repeats in a circle.

I grab the first football and number 17 steps up. "Hey Marcel! Do you even know what you're doing?! That's a football!" He calls out, cupping his hands at his mouth and yelling. His team snickers to themselves.

"Hey, just do as I taught you," Veronica says before she throws one of her own footballs. The player catches it easily and then tosses it back.

I nod and ignore the mockery coming from the football players. I hold the football like Veronica showed me then throw it, using my core to gain more power. It spirals out ahead of me and hits the football player in the chest. He doesn't even attempt to catch it. His hands at his sides not moving. I can't see his face from under the helmet.

Immediately there's silence on the field. Everyone is looking at me and I just know I'm being judged. I look down at my feet and my high socks.

Make me disappear. Make me disappear.

"Dude! Where's you learn to throw from?" Number 17 jogs over to me and removes his helmet. I don't know his name. He flicks his sweaty blonde hair over with his hand before holding it out for me to shake. I stare at it. The sweat sparkling on his skin. Disgusting.

"Veronica," I motioned towards her. She's still throwing footballs to the team. Another player has take my spot for now.

"My names Rick, I'm one of the captains," 17 says it like I should care about who I'm talking to. The only thing I really care about is escaping from his close proximity. He was emitting teenage male testosterone all over the place. "Listen, dude I'm not going to beat your ass." The way he says it makes me flinch.

Rick laughs and puts his hand on my shoulder. It's heavy and I almost run away from the possible threat.

"Rick, give it up. The faggot's gonna piss his pants if you hold him any longer," a player with the number 32 calls out. Rick rolls his eyes but thankfully removes his hand.

"Don't worry, on the field during practice the only violence that occurs is when we tackle each other. Coach doesn't accept any form of fighting and if caught, it's an automatic kick off the team. None of us want that to happen. So you can stop shaking like a damn dog," Rick says to me irritated. His words don't help at all.

"Okay," I squeak out. Could he just please walk away?

Rick scoffs and turns away. "Damn, maybe if you stopped being a damn pussy about shit, you'd get a place on the team."

"Hey Rick! Maybe if you weren't a dick, you'd get a girlfriend!" Veronica yells and throws the football at Rick but he swats it down before it can hit him. I had to admit that was impressive.

"Don't be a hater baby!" He calls out, turning back into that typical high school douche bag.

Veronica raises her arms. "Always a hater!" She turns and winks at me.

That wink will be the death of me. I'm sure of it.