Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

I'm still freezing once I put on the dry pair of clothes. Unfortunately, the only shirt I had, other than the "Marcel" shirt, got soaked since I wore it to the party. I walk back to Veronica shirtless with the towel wrapped around my soaked clothes.

"Where's your shirt?"

I drop my clothes into the trunk of my car and then get in the passenger seat. Veronica has already climbed into the driver's seat and I don't bother arguing against it. I've been drinking and driving would not be wise.

"I wore it to the party," I say, pulling on my seatbelt. She hands me my glasses and I put them on. "Thanks."

Veronica drives away from Aiden's house and I turn on the heater. My wet, damp hair keeps falling into my eyes and I push it back. Veronica drives quietly, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel.

"What are you even doing here?" I ask, this time much nicer than the first time. I hadn't seen her at the party and assumed she didn't go.

"I'm always at Aiden's," she shrugs. "I was going to spend the night, but after your little incident, I decided to come to your rescue!" Veronica says sarcastically. "You should be thankful."

I sigh. "Thanks."

It seems like the only thing we ever do is argue, say mean words to each other, and then end up finding ourselves together again. I thought that by telling her I didn't want her would drive her away. Apparently, she still finds it in her duty to "rescue" me. I don't know if I'm really thankful for it, but I'm too upset to try and be mad.

I could use a friend. Any friend, really.

She looks at me sideways. "Why were you there anyways? I thought you don't party?"

"I don't. I had some questions about things." Questions about you.

"And you thought that asking Aiden at his own party would benefit you?" Veronica laughs, quickly glancing over her shoulder before making a turn. I realize we're heading to her home and not mine.

I shrug. "The only other option would be to ask you." I don't know why I tell her that, but it comes out.

Veronica shakes her and stays silent, staring at the road ahead. So this is how it's going to be again. Silence filled with questions that won't be asked.

Not up for dealing with it, I shut my eyes as she drives. I might as well sleep a bit. I'm pretty tired from the drinking.

I sigh and within seconds, fall asleep.

~~~

I wake up in the bed I slept in the last time I got drunk and went to Veronica's house. There's a quiet sound of a tv playing and I turn around. Sitting cross-legged on the other side of the bed is Veronica, a remote laying beside her.

She glances over her shoulder at me and realizes I'm awake. I stare at her, my arm under my pillow comfortably. We just look at one another, our eyes silently accessing the other's.

I can't help but think that Veronica is beautiful. She's got that soft face, the kind that looks open to anything. Her pink lips are full and I just really want to kiss them, to have them do something other than yell at me. She watches me with her brown eyes, slowly blinking.

"You snore," she says suddenly. "But it's cute."

Cute. She thinks my snoring is cute. I feel my cheeks burn and I bury myself further in the blankets. It's embarrassing enough that she had to hear me snore, but to comment on it? Oh god.

Veronica shuts the tv off and then lays on her stomach, facing me. Our faces are a couple feet away and yet it feels so intimate. Here, away from everyone, she becomes a different person.

"Why are you watching tv in here?" I'm almost certain that there are other televisions in this giant house.

"I don't like being alone in this house." Her answer shocks me.

"Why?"

Veronica sighs and rolls onto her back, putting her hands on her stomach. "Do you always ask so many questions?"

"You should have heard the ones I asked Aiden last night." I mean it as a joke but her eyebrows pull together and she turns her head to glare at me.

"Why didn't you just ask me?"

"I...uh..," I search for any answer, but come up empty. So I just breathe out and tell her simply, "I didn't think you'd want to talk to me after..."

"After you told me to basically fuck off," she finishes for me bluntly.

"I wouldn't use that term, but yeah. I guess you could say that." Talking about it now makes me feel like an idiot. "Sorry about that, by the way."

Veronica just laughs softly. "It's okay. I'm used to it by now. I know you don't actually mean it." She turns towards me, her brown eyes widen suddenly. "Do you mean it?" Veronica asks quietly.

I know I should tell her that I mean every word and end things between us finally, but I just can't. "No, I don't mean it," I whisper.

The air changes between us, morphing into something other than mutual understanding. I become aware of the small space between us and the bed beneath us. Last time I was in this position, I had wanted to have sex with her. A thought that I had never had until that moment. But I was also very intoxicated at the time. Now, with my mind actually clear, I feel like the only thing I want with her is to cuddle. There's just some sad about her.

"Harry?" My name drifts up from her lips, her eyes set on the ceiling above her now.

"Yeah?"

"I called Aiden earlier and asked him about last night. I was hiding in his room so I wasn't aware you were there until everyone started screaming about 'Marcel being thrown in the pool.' He told me what you guys talked about, but I want to hear it from you," she turns her head, her neck arching to see me easier. "So, what did you guys talk about?"

I stare at the place between her eyes, not able to meet her gaze. I don't want to talk to her about it. I'm actually kind of embarrassed about the questions. Maybe it was the alcohol last night, or the disguise, that had made it easy to ask Aiden. But right now, with Veronica knowing exactly who I am, I feel my confidence lacking.

I shut my eyes, wanting to hide away. "I asked about your relationship together." I can confess that part easily.

"And?" Veronica knows there's more to the story.

"And whether or not you guys actually held real attraction towards each other." Pathetic, I feel pathetic.

"And?"

God, how much does she need to hear?

"And...whether you had feelings towards me...or not," I admit. I don't dare open my eyes to look at her. I feel too embarrassed with myself.

The bed moves and a weight is suddenly on me. I open my eyes to see Veronica on my lap, a blanket between us, and her face close to mine.

"Did you get the answer?" She whispers and my entire body lights up with shivers. I'm very aware of the layers of fabric between us.

"I-I th-think he li-lied about it," I stutter so badly, my jaw chattering violently.

She laughs deeply, her head dipping down to my throat. "Do you want to know the answer?"

"I-," I swallow, my breathing hitching in my throat. "I-"

"Well?" She giggles and presses her hands against my chest.

I can't think.

I can't think.

Her teeth bite into the base of my neck and I gasp. "Yes," the word spills out of me without another thought besides, fuck.