Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

In my car, Veronica messes with the radio dials until she finds a decent station. Afterwards, she leans back in the chair lazily and puts her feet on the dashboard in front of her.

"Do you always have to put them up there?"

"Yes," she replies simply. "So, your mother is nice."

"That's because you somehow got on her good side. Where am I going anyways?" I don't know where she lives, just that it's a gated off place. I was highly intoxicated at the time she took me to her house.

"Just drive, I'll direct you as we go," she instructs, pointing that I should continue straight. "Want to know how I did it?"

"Did what?"

"Get on your mom's good side," she clarifies. I turn to her and notice she's gleaming with pride at her handiwork.

"Sure," I nod. This could be an interesting story.

"Well, when I was looking at the front of your house, I noticed the pots and obviously they weren't store bought. So I put together that your mom enjoys pottery," Veronica explains as if she were talking about one plus one. "And from there, it was just like icing a cake. Simple."

"So you made up the whole you painting pots story?"

"Yup, absolutely. I had to just get her to think I knew what I was talking about."

"Interesting." I admire Veronica's people skills, but I still had one question. "Was everything you said tonight the truth?"

Veronica hums under her breath. "Turn left at the next stoplight," she says. I think she's not going to answer until she shifts in her seat. "You mean like my parents?"

Is it wrong to ask about this? I don't like to talk about my dad leaving so maybe she feels the same way.

"Yeah, I guess."

"That one was true," she says, not even sounding like she's hurt by it. "Let's just say, I had a rough childhood. Something's just happen that can't be explained."

"Such as?" I know I'm digging further, but I'm curious. Was the reason she was "bad" because of her family situation?

"You're going to want to turn right after the third street. Head towards the hill. And it's really not important. I'm not all that comfortable talking about it," Veronica mutters. She's put up a wall against me, completely shutting down and not answering with emotional inretest.

I sigh. Looks like I overstepped once again. Why am I always doing that? I follow her instructions on the road and finally find the gated entrance of her house.

"Home sweet home," she says. She doesn't sound too happy about it. "I should have asked you to take me to Aiden's."

I pull over to the side of the road. "Can I ask why you're even dating Aiden?"I've never been so bold with anyone, but she makes me ask questions.

"Is that any of your business?" She snaps at me, twisting in her seat so quickly that I flinch away. "I mean really, is it ANY of your business?!"

"Well, no, but I just-"

"Exactly! It's not any of your business. So why are you asking?!"

The car is too small, her voice to loud, and my courage completely gone. "I just...I just...I'm just confused why you hang around me so much!" I exclaim, feeling pressure on my chest. "I don't understand, that's all. Like if you have a boyfriend why are you always with me?!" My voice squeals, the high pitch back once again.

Veronica glares at me. "I'm around you because I pity you," she spits out slowly, her lips curling around the harsh words.

I whimper, not knowing why I actually just did it. What kind of answer was I looking for? How can I repeatedly be so stupid?

"If you got any other impression as to why I'm around you, then you better think again. I pity you." Her words slice into me, piercing me with each word.

Hate slithers into me, tainting the way I see her. Anger solidifies over me.

And in that moment, I'm done.

"Well then stop pitying me," I spit back with just as much vile as I feel filling me. I've been played by her too much. "Stop messing around with me. Stop making me feel special, different. Stop being around. Stop looking at me with those brown eyes, making me actually feel like you see a me that no one else does. Stop playing with me! Just. Stop!" When I finish, my breathing is hard, my hands gripping the wheel tightly.

I refuse to cry.

"Stop. You want me to stop," she says emotionless. I don't look at her, knowing I'll just collapse.

"Yes. Stop." I shut my eyes. "Get out."

"Fine." The passenger door is thrown open and she gets out. I look over, watching as she leans down and glares at me. "Oh, and just because you change your exterior, doesn't make you any different. That's your next lesson of life," she says harshly then slams the door.

I start my car and drive off, not looking back at the brunette that drives me crazy. I will not allow her to mess with my head anymore. I'm done.

I'm beyond done.

And how dare she use my car's new appearance against me. What does she mean anyways? That even though I took off the batmobile accessories, that it will always be a batmobile?

How the hell does that even make sense?

I glare at the road, driving angrily back home. Even when she's not with me she drives me insane. I can't keep letting her get to me. I have to put up walls as well.

I have to change.