Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Her mother always told her to have a plan just in case. A cookie cutter nine-to-five job might be her only hope for the time being. Chloe walked the streets and was reminded of something out of an old western movie. Mom and pop shops and family owned businesses littered each side of Charming’s downtown. One caught her attention.

Taylor’s Bar was freshly written across the window, a young man was loading boxes inside. “New business?” she called out.

He stopped, a box in his hand. “More like a re-opening, my grandfather left it to me.”

He was tall, cute and had no connection to her father. Chloe’s day was looking up. “You need help, day to day?”

“What do you do?”

“Waitress and bartend.”

He smiled. “Come on in.”

IIII

Clay sighed. “Where the hell is she?”

“I don’t know, no one saw her leave.” Jax admitted as they spoke alone in the office. “I really don’t think she’s gonna go around town admitting you’re related.”

“No her last name takes care of that.”

Growing up apart of the club Jax knew when to keep quiet but lately it was getting harder. “What’s the big deal? You were single and got a girl pregnant, it happens.” As much as he loved and respected Clay he couldn’t understand how he could walk away from his own flesh and blood. He hated when Wendy got pregnant, he wasn’t ready and probably still wasn’t but the kid was here and his. Jax would never leave his son.

“It was a stupid mistake her mother saw as more. I never wanted this and I don’t know nothing about raising a daughter.”

Chloe’s words echoed in his head. “She doesn’t need you to teach her how to walk.”

“What?”

“Nothing, I’m gonna go see the kid and look around for Chloe.”

IIII

Andrew Taylor was in need of help, especially since opening night was in two days. Taylor’s was a restaurant bar, he had a cook and two waitresses hired, he gave the bartender position to Chloe after she mixed a few choice drinks to perfection. “You don’t mind working late nights?”

“No all my time is free right now.” she handed him the filled out application.

“Alright then I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Unless you need some help with all these boxes. I’m in no rush to go home.”

“Ok, you could help me move these to the back.”

He probably thought she was desperate and a part of her was. She knew how to survive alone and brush off painful emotions but it wasn’t easy around Clay. Some quack doctor would tell her all she issues stemmed from her abandonment and lack of a father figure. The thought of daddy issues made her scoff.

She moved boxes of supplies and cheap liquor from out of state to the back supply room, along the way she and Andrew made small talk. She lied every way from Sunday when he asked her a question.

IIII

Jax stood over the incubator or as he liked to call it; the toaster, and watched his son sleep. Everyday he got just a little bit bigger and stronger; there was no more doubt one day he’d take him home. Jax just wasn’t sure where home was. His room at the club was no place to raise a kid and the apartment he got for Wendy was the last place he wanted to be.

He looked up as the door opened. “Hey.” Jax said as Tara stepped inside.

“Would you mind giving me a ride home again?”

“Is the cutless giving you trouble?”

Tara smiled awkwardly. “No I just feel safer with you and since you’re here….”

Jax chuckled. “Yeah I’ll give you a ride.”

“Great I’ll be ready in ten.”

IIII

Chloe sat at one of the tables checking off inventory. Her experience hadn’t been a lie, back home she had worked at the local joint for five years and learned the ins and outs of the restaurant business.

The door opened as Andrew stepped back inside, not alone. “Hey what brings you by?” Andrew asked.

“I’m looking for her.” Chloe looked up at the sound of Jax’s voice.

She asked, “And how did you find me?”

“Asked around, people take notice when there’s a stranger around. What’s going on?” Jax didn’t sound pleased and after two hours looking for her who would be?

“I hired her on as the bartender.” Andrew said. “You know each other?”

“No.” Chloe said quickly. “No really, friend of a friend type of thing. Here Andrew I’m done with these, I should get going.” she grabbed Jax’s arm and rushed as fast as she could without looking too suspicious.

“Whoa.” Outside Jax pulled his arm free. “Why the rush?”

“I fed him some bullshit story about happy family and I don’t need you saying any different. It doesn’t take a genius to see how people look at the Sons around here, I don’t need you connecting me to Clay and scaring off my boss. Why the hell are you looking for me?” They walked away from the bar, she was careful not to be heard.

“You disappeared and Clay got worried.”

“Liar.”

“Maybe. Let’s get out of here.” Jax got on his bike.

“Nah I’ll walk.”

Her discomfort made him grin. “I don’t bite unless you want me to and you specify where.” He said slowly and forced himself not to laugh at her wild-eyed expression before she turned her face. “Come on we’re just wasting time and I’m not letting you walk.”

“Geez are all the men in this town so pushy?” Chloe made no move to join him. “I walked here and I’ll walk back.”

It was getting dark and Jax was in no mood to play any more of their game. He grabbed her wrist. “Hop on or I’m still driving away holding on to your hand.”

Chloe got on but that wasn’t the end of it, she believed revenge was a good thing and she was thinking of hers for Jackson Teller all the way back to the clubhouse.